• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rankiz

Reaction score

Disagree. 

Functioning cuffs are great!

I'm short (5'7") and I've found that nearly all SS cuts work on me bar the Washington. If anything I need the sleeves taken up on the Sienna maybe 0.5-1.0cm. But that can be done from the sleeve, not from the shoulder. 

Of course you disagree if the sleeves fits you without having the sleeves taken up too much. So tell me, what should I do when I need to take up the sleeves 2-4 centimeter?

JBG89

Reaction score

Want to confirm some things:

What is their smallest size: 34S, 36S?
What is their tightest fit: Washington?

I am seeking the absolute smallest suit they make, non-MTM.

34S is there smallest suit

filterq

Reaction score

I have a Washington and the Havana is by much slimmer than the Washington. I couldn't flex my arm muscles without having it feel like it was about to rip.

While the Havana is slimmer in the arms, I found that it was not as slim as the Washington around the waist area.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Of course you disagree if the sleeves fits you without having the sleeves taken up too much. So tell me, what should I do when I need to take up the sleeves 2-4 centimeter?

Do you also have to get the body of the suit taken up? 2-4 cm in the arms means you're probably also going to have to alter the body, otherwise you'll throw the balance off.

If this kind of major work is required, maybe MTM is the better route? Or another brand?

Rankiz

Reaction score

Do you also have to get the body of the suit taken up? 2-4 cm in the arms means you're probably also going to have to alter the body, otherwise you'll throw the balance off. 

If this kind of major work is required, maybe MTM is the better route? Or another brand?

Not at all, since their suits and blazers lenght tends to be quite spot on for me, as they by standard are quite short. Functional buttonholes are highly unpractical and makes shortening the sleeves much more difficult.

Last edited:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Not at all, since their suits and blazers lenght tends to be quite spot on for me, as they by standard are quite short. Functional buttonholes are highly unpractical and makes shortening the sleeves much more difficult.

Have you tried their S size (eg: 38S instead of 38R)? How tall are you?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For reference here's an unaltered 38R Havana.

In this photo I'm 6'1" ~165lbs.

6C3C0309-EBB4-45B2-A443-060BE71CE430-6289-000004C447CF971C.jpg

Last edited:

CrAz3D

Reaction score
do all suits come w/functioning cuffs? I worry because on of my arms is approx 1/2" longer than the other, and I might want to have sleeves shortened. also, at 5'10" 165lbs, I hope the classic fit is forgiving enough for my average size (note: I'm probably actually thinner than average for an america, esp in West Texas, but thin euro cuts I cannot pull off, nor do I want to, as I need very traditional cuts in my profession---lawyering)

Thanks!

Rankiz

Reaction score

Have you tried their S size (eg: 38S instead of 38R)? How tall are you? 

I am 5'7 feet. Size 38S (size 24) is way too wide and need so much slimming in the sides that it won't look good. 46 is too tight, 48 fits nice, but sadly the sleeves are too long and have functional buttonholes.

Last edited:

Rankiz

Reaction score

shorten from the shoulder.

Shortening from the shoulder is like playing Bingo, can turn out bad. Also, there is not one tailor in my whole country that would be able to shorten it from the shoulder with a good result.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shortening from the shoulder is like playing Bingo, can turn out bad. Also, there is not one tailor in my whole country that would be able to shorten it from the shoulder with a good result.

Then is sounds like you either have buttonholes very close to the end of the sleeve, or this brand doesn't work. Tis the problem with functional as you know.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
I am 5'7 feet. Size 38S (size 24) is way too wide and need so much slimming in the sides that it won't look good. 46 is too tight, 48 fits nice, but sadly the sleeves are too long and have functional buttonholes.

I'm 5'7 too.

Have you tried every cut? Inc washington and Havana?

I'm obviously fatter than you if the 24 is way too wide. I didn't think it was much wider than the 48, when I tried them on.

Rankiz

Reaction score

I'm 5'7 too. 

Have you tried every cut? Inc washington and Havana? 

I'm obviously fatter than you if the 24 is way too wide. I didn't think it was much wider than the 48, when I tried them on. 

I have a 24 double breasted suit, but I never managed to make it slim enough without the fabric at the back started to pull/crease. Might have more success with a two button blazer maybe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads