• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
I remember suits were a lot cheaper a few years back if purchased in Europe. I'm visiting Singapore which has a SS location. Does anyone know if they are cheaper in Singapore vs getting one in the US? Would I be able to ship the suit home?

I look this up sometimes, as I get stuff shipped to a few places, depending on where I am travelling to / who is visiting me. I generally see Australia as being the cheapest for suits/blazers, so I try to get it there where possible.

For example, for this jacket: https://eu.suitsupply.com/en/jackets/havana-yellow-jacket/C1322.html?cgid=Jackets&pdp=true

AU - AUD459 (~HKD2592) (can get ~9% GST back at airport)
EU - EUR299 (~HKD2652) (can get ~10-14% VAT back at airport, depending on country)
UK - GBP299 (~HKD3058) (can get ~12% VAT back at airport)
US - USD499 (~HKD3914) (plus sales tax in some states?)
HK - HKD3999
SG - SGD779 (~HKD4518) (can get ~7% GST back at airport)

Singapore and China are way more expensive than everywhere else (strange particularly for China given most of the suits are made there).

This pricing difference is generally true for suits and blazers, in my experience. The pricing difference for most other things (I usually look at chinos, tshirts, socks) is a lot less (they're of course also cheaper), and so I buy those when I need wherever I am (i.e. generally HK).

Note ease of getting GST/VAT back obviously depends on airport you're at, time you're travelling etc... e.g. Australia is fairly straightforward but massive queues at peak hour. So I don't budget on getting that back no matter where I am. Also, getting stuff in AU requires some planning, given their Sydney store has nowhere near as much stock as the UK stores (for example) and so I need to plan some shipping time; and then that's subject to whether the relevant item is available online for Australia...

Last edited:

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look this up sometimes, as I get stuff shipped to a few places, depending on where I am travelling to / who is visiting me. I generally see Australia as being the cheapest for suits/blazers, so I try to get it there where possible.

For example, for this jacket: https://eu.suitsupply.com/en/jackets/havana-yellow-jacket/C1322.html?cgid=Jackets&pdp=true

AU - AUD459 (~HKD2592) (can get ~9% GST back at airport)
EU - EUR299 (~HKD2652) (can get ~10-14% VAT back at airport, depending on country)
UK - GBP299 (~HKD3058) (can get ~12% VAT back at airport)
US - USD499 (~HKD3914) (plus sales tax in some states?)
HK - HKD3999
SG - SGD779 (~HKD4518) (can get ~7% GST back at airport)

Singapore and China are way more expensive than everywhere else, in my experience (strange particularly for China given most of the suits are made there).

This pricing difference is generally true for suits and blazers, in my experience. The pricing difference for most other things (I usually look at chinos, tshirts, socks) is a lot less (they're of course also cheaper), and so I buy those when I need wherever I am (i.e. generally HK).

Note ease of getting GST/VAT back obviously depends on airport you're at, time you're travelling etc... e.g. Australia is fairly straightforward but massive queues at peak hour. So I don't budget on getting that back no matter where I am. Also, getting stuff in AU requires some planning, given their Sydney store has nowhere near as much stock as the UK stores (for example) and so I need to plan some shipping time; and then that's subject to whether the relevant item is available online for Australia...
Thanks for crunching those numbers. I had thought my prices here in Canada were good, but now I see that AU, EU, and UK all have me beat.
CA - CAD529 (~HKD3121)

SS 376

Reaction score

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
This Havana is a 3roll2 (or 2.5 button as the customer service chat guy called it). Has anyone seen it in person? Are there other SuSu 3roll2 jackets?
https://ca.suitsupply.com/en_CA/jackets/havana-navy-jacket/C1282I.html
C1282_5.jpg

There are a few random Havana's that are 3 roll 2, mainly of the unconstructed variety. I have this one: https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/havana-navy-suit/P5419I.html?q=unconstructed&pdp=true

I believe there's also a flannel unconstructed havana in either navy or grey that was 3 roll 2.

Turpentine

Reaction score

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have it in a 38US/48EU. Fit is pretty much spot on. I would also prefer to in a long. The sleeve length is fine on me, but my arms are a bit short.

Non sequitur, but I was in the Helsinki store last Friday, apparently they are dropping the prices and expanding the range of fabrics and options in the Custom Made programme. I get the impression their MTM programme is going to be de-emphasised in the future. Not surprising, I doubt it's a reliable revenue stream.

Turpentine

Reaction score
I have it in a 38US/48EU. Fit is pretty much spot on. I would also prefer to in a long. The sleeve length is fine on me, but my arms are a bit short.

Thanks! Given your comment and the fact that I generally need to get sleeves lengthened even on the long suit sizes, it's probably best I forget about the raincoat, the sleeves are almost certainly gonna be too short for me.

ThePanda

Reaction score

Non sequitur, but I was in the Helsinki store last Friday, apparently they are dropping the prices and expanding the range of fabrics and options in the Custom Made programme. I get the impression their MTM programme is going to be de-emphasised in the future. Not surprising, I doubt it's a reliable revenue stream.

oh that is interesting... I wonder if they'll have more of the MTM options available in the custom-made, like full-canvas or 3-roll-2.

Reaction score
Do you by any chance know when changes will happen? Any time soon?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still a few weeks away from taking delivery of my MTM suit, but if it turns out really well I’d definitely be upset if I couldn’t keep ordering more. I was already planning on ordering a second suit if the first one is good.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy said the new fabrics and features will be rolled out in a few weeks. Basically the first week of May. Not sure if that applies to non-Euro markets, though.

MTM is not going to be dropped immediately. I got the impression that is a longer term strategy. I can understand why they want to steer customers to Custom Made instead. A lot less can go wrong.

caschta

Reaction score
Would be fine, if they offer more options they already have in their RTW Programme. Wide lapel, pleated trousers, pleated shoulder etc.

For now you only get a standard havana, even though RTW havanas offer much more variety, style-wise.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. They're starting with offering more possibilities for lining (half, butterfly, unlined) and will presumably be expanding in that direction. As I understand it the new system will be up and running before summer gets into full swing. The manager told me to check back in early May.

FYI: If you're interested in a Custom Made suit, keep an eye on the website; apparently it is updated in real time.

pomor

Reaction score
The guy said the new fabrics and features will be rolled out in a few weeks. Basically the first week of May. Not sure if that applies to non-Euro markets, though.

MTM is not going to be dropped immediately. I got the impression that is a longer term strategy. I can understand why they want to steer customers to Custom Made instead. A lot less can go wrong.

Is the Helsinki store now all Finns or do they still have any Dutchmen on the floor? Also, you might have already mentioned, but have you had a chance to recently visit the Tallinn or the Stockholm stores? When I am there — it’s my goal to go to all 3!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads