• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlairW

Reaction score
I just now noticed you’re in Tauranga — had a friend online in that city I Skyped with a while back. The climate seems a lot more humid than the rest of the country. Can you wear traditional overcoats in the “dead” of winter? (July?) or would they be too warm? The thinner overcoats SS has tradionally offered for spring/summer (not this year though) would probably be ideal

Its definitely more humid than the south island, but not as humid as Auckland. Still gets quite cold in winter but a proper thick overcoat would be a bit much - better to wear something thinner and layer it up when you need it

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received the off white cotton braided belt (A19103). Wearing it today. It's lovely. Very preppy and the perfect width for chinos.

SS 376

Reaction score
So I apologize if this has been covered recently, but after visiting my local Suitsupply and checking out their new spring line, I was really shocked with how jacket measurements have drastically changed in the Havana.

I've been a 40R Havana for years and a 40R Contemporary in Spier & Mackay (identical specs to the Havana in terms of shoulder, chest, and sleeve circumference), and talked with a store rep as well as the in-house tailor in terms of fit since I've had to had the back of the jackets let out a bit thanks to 6 day-a-week gym sessions the past year. For ***** and giggles I tried a 42R in both companies and while the shoulder and back felt great, the chest was WAY too big to fix and I looked like a kid wearing dad's suit.

To my surprise, the 40R Havana for this season was TINY! Felt like a 38R, and it was confirmed by the tailor that SuSu has been tweaking their overall measurements based on the data they've received from in-store alterations. I tried on a 42R, and it was hands down the most comfortable jacket fit yet; shoulder seams fell right at the end of my shoulder bone, the back felt comfortable when reaching forward, and the chest wasn't a roomy oasis like previous years.

I definitely advise ANYONE who's interested in the Spring Line to try on the new suits/blazers in person before pulling the trigger on an online order, because the sizes have absolutely changed. For reference, I tried the Green Herringbone, Blue Silk/Linen/Wool and a cream-colored Havana.

Glad it's not just me! I started off as a 40R but now I am really a 42R (or 42L if I want sleeves of a normal length), and I really don't think my dimensions have changed much. It definitely feels like they've shaved a bit from the measurements, even if you account for inconsistency. If you're ordering online, definitely get your normal size and one size above to compare. And I'd be very leery of buying from the outlet if you don't know your correct size...

I never thought I had long arms but it seems now that the sleeves on regular sizes (at least for Napoli, Havana, and Lazio) are almost cartoonishly short. My Siennas have sleeves that are a proper length.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad it's not just me! I started off as a 40R but now I am really a 42R (or 42L if I want sleeves of a normal length), and I really don't think my dimensions have changed much. It definitely feels like they've shaved a bit from the measurements, even if you account for inconsistency. If you're ordering online, definitely get your normal size and one size above to compare. And I'd be very leery of buying from the outlet if you don't know your correct size...

I never thought I had long arms but it seems now that the sleeves on regular sizes (at least for Napoli, Havana, and Lazio) are almost cartoonishly short. My Siennas have sleeves that are a proper length.
Someone here claims a staff member told him the sizes have shrunk based on the stores' tailoring data. And yet online customer service today told me something ******* vague. It is possible that slight adjustments have been made? Thanks for the non-answer, Kelly.
Untitled.png

kithking23

Reaction score
If anybody is interested in a basically new houndstooth Hudson navy and white suit in a 38R pm me please

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
991681D5-4B18-4D17-B543-57AF3AAB8B9C.jpeg Can anyone comment on this Napoli linen suit? It’s lovey, but the jacket seems to be lined. Doesn’t the warmth of a lining defeat the purpose of a linen jacket?

Mahoney320

Reaction score
I'm having the same trouble with sizing. I started out in a Suitsupply 40R/40L (in all but the Washington and Copenhagen, in which I was a 42R). All of those suits still fit well, but I left Suitsupply with a complex this afternoon. I'd need to move up to a 42 in everything and, even then, the fit wasn't quite the same.

kithking23

Reaction score
I went to the suitsupply at Tyson’s,from what the rep told me was that they are making them a tad slimmer. Most of the customers she’s had have had to size up in relation to the adjustments

ThePanda

Reaction score
Anyone else find suitsupply pants a little tight in the seat/hips area? I tried on a Havana 36R pants and the seller said they could let that out. Otherwise thr pants fit and the taper is a bit aggressive.

Are the pants cut the same in other fits.

The jacket was perfect though.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their trousers are not ideal. I always had to size up, but even that was not enough. I have managed to achieve good results through the Custom Made programme, however. I sized up 2x and increased the foot opening from 19 to 23cm. I'll never go back to RTW.

ThePanda

Reaction score
Their trousers are not ideal. I always had to size up, but even that was not enough. I have managed to achieve good results through the Custom Made programme, however. I sized up 2x and increased the foot opening from 19 to 23cm. I'll never go back to RTW.

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I am happy to hear you can do all sorts of adjustments to the trousers.

Do all the styles (La Spalla, Havana, etc) have the same type of trouser fit? I noticed in Custom-Made there is only Brescia and Washington trousers. I know Washington is the 'slimmer' fit, but I don't know how they can go slimmer than the Havana trousers I tried on.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That purple soho I got from @TheSupplier came a few days ago. I wore it around today to see what all I need to get altered. Looks like I need the waist out, pants hemmed/cuffed, and the sleeves shortened just a tick. Maybe get the waist out a little too, but I think I like it tight. I can’t for the life of me get a good picture of it’s color with it being so cloudy outside though.

C34DAB11-B6EB-4BC4-A1DF-81CE086294EC.jpeg

TheSupplier

Reaction score
Very tough to photograph but I managed to get it done.

Looks amazing!

I would say shorten the sleeves, hem the pants maybe a small button move as it looks a tad too tight in the chest. But otherwise... spot on!

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never would have considered a 'purple' suit but looks like it turned out well, grats.
Almost tempts me to get the light grey DB suit from this season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads