1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Thilgela

Thilgela Senior Member

2. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Senior Member

Yes, there are really that many more fabrics available in MTM! For most gentlemen the custom made program has something that will be close to what they are looking for as far as classic suiting goes, especially since they started offering the Sienna cut and super 150's.

You need to go in-store and get fitted by an associate to get access to additional fitting adjustments, you cannot make sizing adjustments in custom made on the website.

Now if you're looking for something very specific you'll probably have to go MTM. There are the entry level price "house" fabrics which are all Vitale Barberis Canonico and similar to the custom made fabrics. Where it differs significantly is the cut length fabrics, you can browse the majority of them here actually: http://www.aristonfabrics.com/ . In addition to the Ariston fabrics, Susu MTM offers Solbiati. Some select stores (NY Soho, NY Madison, Chicago mainly) offer Drapers, Holland & Sherry, Huddersfield and Dugdale.

The core line of Havana jackets should still be the same, I'm mainly referring to the all-season suiting and sport coats. The seasonal stuff and Havana variations (Havana wide, Havana pleated, deconstructed, etc.) you'll definitely want to try on as it's not super consistent. They aren't all just slimmer either, I went down a size in the Havana wide for example.

3. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

Anyone got either of these two ties? Trying to gauge the thickness...

upload_2019-3-7_9-45-42.png

4. 7_rocket

7_rocket Distinguished Member

Polos look good on the models. Anyone got pics in real life?

5. chocsosa

chocsosa Distinguished Member

I can def concur this experience.. I walked in to the DC Store last week just checking stuff out.. Im usually a 44L in most of their stuff and a 46L in their slimmer stuff(Washington) but I had to go up to a 46L on a three piece Lazio that I ended up purchasing..the sleeves were also comically short which has never been the case..I was kind of shocked that things have drastically changed measurement wise since the purchase of my last suit from them in 2015..

6. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

Likewise. The last time I bought a 38L Lazio was a few years ago but I remember it being a very full cut. I used it as a reference for my custom suits and it was significantly slimmer. I even had to let out the sides.

7. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

As usual their sizing inconsistencies are the worst part of their business. It seems they have a big following but the underlying issue is the sizing and the changes to commonly understood fits and sizes

8. GeoffUK

GeoffUK Active Member

@lexxdeleon Is it possible to change Gorge Height in MTM?

9. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

It is not. I wanted to lower the gorge too.

10. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Senior Member

Unfortunately, no go on changing gorge height. Only changing width, from standard to wide and style selection of notch, peak and shawl.

Yeah, I really wish we could do that. They do work on adding additionally customizable features and that's one I really hope they look to add.

11. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

I concur. My London suit from 2013 is a 38R - still fits me today. Whereas the 38R double-breasted suits I purchased a few years later don't fit at all. I was recently sized at the local SuSu store as 42R - so I purchased a 42R Havana jacket (and the fit is different than what I tried on in-store) and I'm confident I can go up to 44R for a better fit.

12. Contango

Contango Senior Member

Just hop on a short flight to Sydney, order a suit and sample the civilisation for a day ;)

13. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

I’ve considered it. Will you be my civilised host for the day?

14. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

I’ll wear socks

15. pomor

pomor Senior Member

I just now noticed you’re in Tauranga — had a friend online in that city I Skyped with a while back. The climate seems a lot more humid than the rest of the country. Can you wear traditional overcoats in the “dead” of winter? (July?) or would they be too warm? The thinner overcoats SS has tradionally offered for spring/summer (not this year though) would probably be ideal