1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

Thanks for the info. That might work out ok for me, if I’m able to lengthen the jacket and have the button stance naturally drop down in line with the rest of the fit. This isn’t the best picture and doesn’t really give a great representation of the actual fit, but this is my Navy linen Havana in 44L. You can see the second button is right at my belt. Ideally I’d like to make the jacket a little longer and drop that buttoning point so the top button is slight above the belt at my natural wait and the bottom button is below my belt line.

84144F59-D93B-4711-9CF9-70E181953C54.jpeg

2. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Senior Member

Wow 3 remakes! That trouser...I'll take and post some photos of mine.

For you, who already fits OTR pretty well, definitely not worth it. Really depends on the body type, posture and how much customization you want.

Lengthening the jacket is available (only in-store with an associate), however, you don't get to choose where exactly the button is located. It's moved lower proportionally to how much the jacket is lengthened. In your case, the button stance would still be 0.5 inches higher than you would like.

3. KWang94

KWang94 Senior Member

Was sure I recognized these pictures. They're from the SxS group on FB, right? It looks amazing!!

4. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

@lexxdeleon can somebody like me, who has no Susu in their country order MTM? Like if I was to say I want Jort button stance on Lazio fit as the only change - can that be accomodated online??

5. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Senior Member

Yessir, thanks!

Sorry Blair, made-to-measure can only be purchased in-store where MTM is available. The pattern isn't based off of any OTR/RTW Susu patterns, MTM uses a fit series exclusive to the program. Also, for the best results, it is far better to get measured in person. Same goes for choosing the fabrics too.

6. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

Damn this tiny country of mine. Thanks mate

7. Beatlegeuse

One more question on custom vs MTM...when looking online it seems like there are 90+ fabrics for custom vs 3,000+ for MTM. Are there really that many more fabrics that are only available if you go MTM? For suits, I’m not looking for anything crazy, just a pretty standard Navy and grey with some texture (maybe a Birdseye as opposed to a standard S120s worsted wool).

It also seems like there aren’t as many available options for custom when looking on the SuSu website as have been discussed here (jacket length, etc.). So I’m guessing I just need to go to the store and ask about additional options in person?

8. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

The selection is pretty good. Most of the fabric from the regular lines is available in Custom Made. The fabric of my grey and brown suits were selected from existing options in the line-up. The other fabrics are pretty good too; in some aspects better than what is available for MTM. The fabric for my grey custom suit is much nicer than the MTM equivalent. My navy custom suit is a pretty nice birdseye, if that's what you're looking for. I'm considering getting a DB jacket made in the same fabric.

3180271.jpg

In case this hasn't been made clear: it is essential be fitted in-store. They will make all the necessary adjustments. You can even do things like widening the foot opening, it's very flexible. The suit will arrive fully tailored direct from the factory. For some reason they don't publicise this service, but they should - it's very good. Out of three suits only one required additional alterations (the trouser waist had to be taken in).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019

9. Beatlegeuse

^ Thanks again! That is a nice navy birdseye. I will just go to the store this weekend and check out my options there for fabrics and customization.

10. AGlorifiedCrew

AGlorifiedCrew Well-Known Member

So I apologize if this has been covered recently, but after visiting my local Suitsupply and checking out their new spring line, I was really shocked with how jacket measurements have drastically changed in the Havana.

I've been a 40R Havana for years and a 40R Contemporary in Spier & Mackay (identical specs to the Havana in terms of shoulder, chest, and sleeve circumference), and talked with a store rep as well as the in-house tailor in terms of fit since I've had to had the back of the jackets let out a bit thanks to 6 day-a-week gym sessions the past year. For shits and giggles I tried a 42R in both companies and while the shoulder and back felt great, the chest was WAY too big to fix and I looked like a kid wearing dad's suit.

To my surprise, the 40R Havana for this season was TINY! Felt like a 38R, and it was confirmed by the tailor that SuSu has been tweaking their overall measurements based on the data they've received from in-store alterations. I tried on a 42R, and it was hands down the most comfortable jacket fit yet; shoulder seams fell right at the end of my shoulder bone, the back felt comfortable when reaching forward, and the chest wasn't a roomy oasis like previous years.

I definitely advise ANYONE who's interested in the Spring Line to try on the new suits/blazers in person before pulling the trigger on an online order, because the sizes have absolutely changed. For reference, I tried the Green Herringbone, Blue Silk/Linen/Wool and a cream-colored Havana.

11. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Six days a week??? Congrats!

12. AGlorifiedCrew

AGlorifiedCrew Well-Known Member

I’m lucky my office has a gym and even luckier that I’ve got a PM that lets us gym it up for as long as necessary haha

13. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Thanks for that good information. My newest Havana 38R fits a little tight, and I wondered if I’d just put on weight, but my older Havana 38Rs still fit me comfortably.

14. mina262

mina262 Well-Known Member

Edit

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019

15. mina262

mina262 Well-Known Member

What's this FB group then?!