1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

They are very reasonable. You can go MTM or just get their standard size, which is nice. I highly recommend the formal button-down. The full and high spreads are both also very nice.

2. Nikola

Nikola Distinguished Member

What's with their shirt size nomenclature .. I am so confused .. It used to be 15, 15 3/4, 15.5, 16 .. Now it's 39 and 40 and for both those numbers it says size is M .. What a mess .. This is particularly inconvenient when ordering dress shirts ..

3. Houta

Houta Well-Known Member

I haven’t tried Charles Tyrwhitt yet. I fly to UK every week now for work and planning to stop by their Swindon store next week. They have one in the Designer outlet there so will take a look and will buy a couple or so to try them if the fit was good.

4. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

@Nikola I've never used their standard sizes but I think it's because they use metric? The multiple mediums thing is kind of weird though.

I've only had a few Tyrwhitt shirts but have not been especially impressed. Of the more affordable English shirtmakers, I prefer TM Lewin.

5. Murph65

Murph65 Active Member

Size up on the knitwear!

6. Nikola

Nikola Distinguished Member

@Michael81 I got quite a few of Tyrwitt shirts and they are really good, IMO .. Never tried the TM Lewin though, as their classic collar seems a bit too narrow in the photos and I am not sure if it will reach the lapels of the jacket when using tie, though the prices are dirty cheap .. I mean 19 pounds for a shirt .. LoL .. You got experience with their classic collar?

7. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

I remember having a similar experience with Tyrwhitt collars. I also remember their shirts being preposterously slim. But yeah, for £19, not bad at all.

I actually don't have any English shirts, in my closet anymore, but Lewin's spread collar seemed adequate.

8. Bob Po

Bob Po Member

Around what time should I be checking for the Europe Outlet on Monday?

9. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

Shirts inbound. 20190111_161929.jpeg

10. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

I have to say, I am not a fan of SuSu collars. Their spread collar is okay but those ultra-cutaways are not my thing at all. I prefer a harmonious relationship between the angles of the collar and the notch of the gorge.

11. Houta

Houta Well-Known Member

This is always a mystery! I’d recommend you start checking early in the morning when you get up! Take a look every couple of hours or something as items will be limited and will move fast!

12. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

I'll send you a picture when I wear one. I think they play well with my face.

13. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

That is one way to think about it. Personally I prefer the angles of the notch and the collar to align.

Good:
    IMG_20190113_152852.jpg IMG_20190113_153223.jpg

Bad:
    IMG_20190113_152933.jpg

14. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

15. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

Someone mentioned it here a while back and I quite liked the idea. It's a very subtle effect but it definitely makes for a more harmonious fit.