• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pomor

Reaction score
That’s true,but if there prices are good,why are so many going for the outlet route instead? Seems like it’s a better deal at a outlet price than a regular price.

Because the outlet prices are unbelievably good? And my size is plentifully available? The last outet was a drool. In a way, SS have done it to themselves. I am personally already saving up for January to have a feast

Last edited:

pomor

Reaction score
Basically, the Suitsupply appears unrivaled, especially in Europe.

A bit surprised they are just now getting into the Paris market (first SS is slated to open spring 2019). Metro Paris has a ton of disposable income and there should already have been 5+ stores there considering how many there are in Holland and Belgium

I mean, yes, start with Paris and move on to Lyon, Marseille, Nice, etc

zacktucci

Reaction score
I feel like at the price point they offer ($569-$999 for most suits), and given the superior contruction/quality and fabrics, there really is no one putting out a better product than SS on the market. Even some higher priced brands pale in comparison. S&M’s suits are quite dull and basic in my opinion, and offer nowhere near the quality/craftsmanship of SS’ clothes on top of that.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like at the price point they offer ($569-$999 for most suits), and given the superior contruction/quality and fabrics, there really is no one putting out a better product than SS on the market. Even some higher priced brands pale in comparison. S&M’s suits are quite dull and basic in my opinion, and offer nowhere near the quality/craftsmanship of SS’ clothes on top of that.

+1 S&M is dull looking or poor photography. If anything SS is much closer to the other european brands that also compete in the stylish suit market but with traditional mills and more luxurious cloths. S&M imho really fits the american sack suit sort of look at least visibly.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S&M also has a built-in fanbase in the Canadian members. They're pretty active on that thread. I think Canadians pay a lot more if they wanted to get an Italian or European CM in tariffs. We're pretty blessed to get a bunch of sales and online sales here in the U.S. Also, I've been able to buy Zegnas, Canalis even Isaia at discount stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Cent. 21. Paid around what SS or even S&M charges, sometimes below. Also, I'm a common size 40-42, which helps.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S&M also has a built-in fanbase in the Canadian members. They're pretty active on that thread. I think Canadians pay a lot more if they wanted to get an Italian or European CM in tariffs. We're pretty blessed to get a bunch of sales and online sales here in the U.S. Also, I've been able to buy Zegnas, Canalis even Isaia at discount stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Cent. 21. Paid around what SS or even S&M charges, sometimes below. Also, I'm a common size 40-42, which helps.

oh this I agree fully. the USA is literally the best country for sales outside of European factory stores. If you don't mind the secondary tailoring charges and the inconvenience

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned previously the recent price changes have me re-evaluating things. I didn't give S&M a look at in the past but now some of their lines are of interest. Likewise theres a couple of local options that do OTR suits well, in some cases they use similar mills for fabrics, in other cases not. If both were the same price id still opt for SS just for convenience with their deliveries and returns, but the benefit of the local stores is they have sales which will make them the better buys - who knows maybe we'll see a global outlet from ss one day.

Even putting aside local OTR options, the same havanas that were $550 odd not long ago are now $730. While the cloth wont be quite as good if you have access to descent mtm providers locally you may as well just pay the cpl of hundred and get one mtm imo.

That said theres areas where SS still has a distinct advantage, such as coats - have yet to see a place that offers the range and quality they do at even at the new prices. Trousers and even some jackets still seem to be of value, the fact they didn't jump up huge amounts helps too.

davidazio

Reaction score
I've mentioned previously the recent price changes have me re-evaluating things. I didn't give S&M a look at in the past but now some of their lines are of interest. Likewise theres a couple of local options that do OTR suits well, in some cases they use similar mills for fabrics, in other cases not. If both were the same price id still opt for SS just for convenience with their deliveries and returns, but the benefit of the local stores is they have sales which will make them the better buys - who knows maybe we'll see a global outlet from ss one day.

Even putting aside local OTR options, the same havanas that were $550 odd not long ago are now $730. While the cloth wont be quite as good if you have access to descent mtm providers locally you may as well just pay the cpl of hundred and get one mtm imo.

That said theres areas where SS still has a distinct advantage, such as coats - have yet to see a place that offers the range and quality they do at even at the new prices. Trousers and even some jackets still seem to be of value, the fact they didn't jump up huge amounts helps too.

I'm in a very similar boat myself, in that I had never even considered S&M until the price increase (in Europe from 299 to 379 for most suits, in many cases even staples). Still very good value for the quality, but enough of an increase to start looking for alternatives. The fact that SS trousers are very slim and with a low rise have me convinced to try other options and will likely try S&M to see if fit is better off the rack.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian who believes in shopping local, but I'm still a SS fan because of construction, fabrics (!), price, selection, and customer service.

What bugs me most about S&M are the sleeve buttons. They're non-functioning, but they have stitched fake buttonhole stitching that looks like a headache to remove when I get the sleeves altered. I've been tempted by sale prices of CAD $249.99, but my local tailor can't make buttonholes. Here's a picture of the ridiculous buttons from dappered:

spandmac-buttons.jpg

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit surprised they are just now getting into the Paris market (first SS is slated to open spring 2019). Metro Paris has a ton of disposable income and there should already have been 5+ stores there considering how many there are in Holland and Belgium

I mean, yes, start with Paris and move on to Lyon, Marseille, Nice, etc

personally i think that it is financially dangerous to start or launch a new brand in the traditional tailoring centers without some pre-existing traction. even SS has only 3 stores only within london and 1 in italy. these major centers of disposable income are somehow not good for SS. I do wonder what in their data has made them come to that conclusion.

I'm in a very similar boat myself, in that I had never even considered S&M until the price increase (in Europe from 299 to 379 for most suits, in many cases even staples). Still very good value for the quality, but enough of an increase to start looking for alternatives. The fact that SS trousers are very slim and with a low rise have me convinced to try other options and will likely try S&M to see if fit is better off the rack.

just a FYI, SuSu's new pricing I guess is sticker shock since it didn't use to be so high, but the new Europe pricing with VAT is still 33% discount off Asia ie. Asia is 150% of EU pricing. And America is 130-5% once u factor in sales tax.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think S&M is getting a lot of attention from Americans too, not just Canadians. They seem to have one of the most active threads on the forum.

They're kind of unique compared to SS in that the owner (Rick) is a regular presence on the forum and takes suggestions on product design. This creates a semi-crowd designed dynamic to their wares.

For example, he'll poll the thread on things like side tabs for trousers, rise, peak lapels on jackets, etc...

Just my two cents. I like both brands.

Ahree

Reaction score
personally i think that it is financially dangerous to start or launch a new brand in the traditional tailoring centers without some pre-existing traction. even SS has only 3 stores only within london and 1 in italy. these major centers of disposable income are somehow not good for SS. I do wonder what in their data has made them come to that conclusion.

just a FYI, SuSu's new pricing I guess is sticker shock since it didn't use to be so high, but the new Europe pricing with VAT is still 33% discount off Asia ie. Asia is 150% of EU pricing. And America is 130-5% once u factor in sales tax.
Slim Spier & McKay trousers do hit that sweet spot. Tapered beautifully in all the right places. (My 2 cents.)

paddymac

Reaction score
I'm a Canadian who believes in shopping local, but I'm still a SS fan because of construction, fabrics (!), price, selection, and customer service.

What bugs me most about S&M are the sleeve buttons. They're non-functioning, but they have stitched fake buttonhole stitching that looks like a headache to remove when I get the sleeves altered. I've been tempted by sale prices of CAD $249.99, but my local tailor can't make buttonholes. Here's a picture of the ridiculous buttons from dappered:

spandmac-buttons.jpg

huh,

but dont all brands do this stitching if it is non working buttons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads