1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11 : Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Distinguished Member

More price rises, most coats now jumped $100 today..kinda losing its rest in their brand now tbh

2. TheSupplier

TheSupplier Senior Member

Funny that I was complaining that I couldn't get a cashmere blazer in my size and magically one appeared and a JORT at that!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its already at the tailor. Can't wait to wear it it.

Those Silver buttons really pop too. So far the best pickup of the Fall/Winter so far.

I am still trying to get a Lavello Coat.

3. TheSupplier

Spoke to a district manager the other day and the price of wool has gone up so much that he said that they had no other choice but to increase prices.

I also checked out some data a couple weeks ago and from what I remember reading this is in fact the case.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I was in the Opéra area this morning when i saw this :

Susu.jpg

So finally there will be a SuSu shop in Paris...

5. pomor

pomor Senior Member

6. pomor

pomor Senior Member

So, a question from me — are there any pure alpaca garments in the wild? I have been told by SS that they “strengthen” alpaca or alpaca/wool blend with nylon/polyester to extend longevity otherwise such garments would wear out quickly. BS or some truth to that?

P.S. I have 2 coats, 3-4 jackets and 2 suits with varying degrees of alpaca in them, and they ALL contain polyester from as little as 5% polyester in the coats to as much as 18% in the suits.

This latest waistcoat I got is about 30% polyester and 33% alpaca and 37% cotton

7. pomor

pomor Senior Member

Almost forgot — am being told that there are camel and emerald items coming next week and the Jort collection by the end of October

8. kevenmee

kevenmee Senior Member

What are other options in a similar price range?

9. TheSupplier

Ive never seen a 100% Alpaca item. Even in the samples. Theres always some kind of "Polymide" or something or the other in them.

I have however seen a 100% Cashmere suit.

I am curious to see how many new cashmere jacket is going to hold up. I don't plan on wearing it in any environment where it could be easily damaged though. Just probably shopping, dinner dates, client meetings.. etc etc

I haven't seen anything (besides the new cape) of the new Jort collection so it should be exciting.

The emerald suit should be interesting but with the skinny DB lapels it will be probably be a pass for me. I have seen the slimmer guys wearing the new DBs now it does IN FACT look better than the Madison on them. I see now why they changed. Good move.

I am still hoping they kept at least one "old Madison" for us wide lapel guys. Just in case ive recently bought about 5 Madison suits.

10. pomor

pomor Senior Member

I hope your Madison hope comes true for you. From the photo of the blazer with fhe silver buttons it looks great. I believe it’s last winter’s model and is now sold out, at least, Stateside?

I did own a 100% cashmere jacket from another brand at one point but sold it on eBay. After about 5 wears it started pilling real bad. I used a special comb to remove pilling but I could tell it was just going to be downhill from there, so I sold it while it was in OK condition. I HAVE had very good luck, though, with 100% cashmere knits — even handwashed them and laid flat to dry, and they maintained shape, size, and color which isn’t always true for merino or cotton/silk blend as those can look dull after even one handwash. Granted, this was like a $400 RL cashmere sweater, so not all cashmere is the same. I do remember an SS rep mentioning at some point that they switched cashmere fabrics for overcoats from or to Colombo because QC proved better with that fabric maker.

11. TheSupplier

That was last years model and its pretty much sold out (or taken offline) in the US and EU (I look on both sites). I think there are some off large sizes left but thats it.

Thus far I only have one of Suitsupply's full cashmere hooded sweaters and worn it twice with no issues. Thanks for the tips I will make sure and pay close attention before going to wash it. I don't have much cashmere in my wardrobe and looking to introduce more.

Keeping fingers crossed for a fresh Madison!

12. pomor

pomor Senior Member

Another Madison just popped up in your size https://www.ebay.com/itm/625-Suitsu...740808?hash=item3d76a83788:g:dUgAAOSwAPtbvLXl

13. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

Which one for summer guys?

upload_2018-10-11_8-21-22.jpeg

97323036-1EBF-4472-A2F9-EE19841E6668.png

14. TheSupplier

15. pomor

pomor Senior Member

You know — I had mixed feelings about that 3-piece brown check — the Havana, right? (I mean, old school Havana). The pattern is subtle enough that it looks like a solid suit from 20 ft. away. I don’t like overly loud or contrasting patterns myself, and so I need an opinion as well.

Which one? 1 or 2? (the second is a suit but was gonna wear just the jacket most of the time anyway). Also, the first one is E.Thomas and second is VBC. Both current winter collection. I am leaning towards the first. The pattern is more of a “jacket” pattern.

@TheSupplier I actually considered your Lazio blue check jacket you had recently, but I lean towards patch pockets on a piece I wear mostly as a jacket. Also, I tend to dislike light-colored lining which that Lazio has.

6A2D63B6-3827-4515-9465-FD72B22EE773.png

5FCD5A3A-3903-496D-A84E-C2FA06A1BA9C.jpeg

P.S. I do like the Lazio lapels though... Wish this was a Hudson...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018