Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I'm just going by what I was told by a sales associate over the phone and what they put on their website..

" The hand tailoring and craftsmanship involved in creating the Sienna afford it a level comfort and attention to detail that can only be obtained by the most skilled craftsman. The Sienna features a Neapolitan shoulder which the Italians call the spalla camicia (in English known as the shirt shoulder, meaning the shoulder falls like a shirt). These shoulders hold minimal padding, making for a natural shoulder that is softer and lighter than in English inspired suits. The lack of padding might result in slight shirring at the sleeve head. The Sienna is distinguished by handmade details such as handset soft sleeve, underarm sousbras and a handmade canvas collar for maximum comfort and fit. Other features include horn buttons, special red Bemberg lining and a front ticket pocket. "

I'll take them at their word right now.. they could be lying but oh well...

2. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

They aren't lying, but they are forcing in ambiguous way the use of the terms "hand" and "handmade" as it's sadly common today in clothing business

The machines are always guided by the hands of the workers.
    A sleeve is handset also in 1$ jacket as padding, canvas are set in place by hands but this don't obviuolsy mean they are hand stitched or finished.

However this is simply marketing, they made what seem to be very good products.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

3. McBindle

McBindle Well-Known Member

Dufferin1 and Steffenbp11 - thank you for your replies on the trouser fit questions. Very helpful.

4. radchad3

radchad3 Active Member

[​IMG]

Thanks for the thoughts on the "handmade" details. He are some pics of the Sienna. Any thoughts on the fit? The sleeve and collar have been pinned. I am concerned on the fit of the left shoulder. There is quite a bit of creasing there. Is this what they call "shirring"? Is it acceptable? How about around the waist?

Thank you all for the responses!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I don't know, I think they look slim but not skinny. Tough to tell "tight" without seeing what his legs look like without pants, and I don't want to see that.

6. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Should I feel just a little bit offended by that last sentence ? I have very shapely legs :)

7. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

The Sevilla is fused? Are you sure on this?

8. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

The jacket is too small especially around the chest where the lapels are clearly bowing.

9. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Yea I would have to agree.. the lapels dont lie flat and what you see at the sleeve head is what a divot.. it pretty much can mean either the point to point is to small for you or the ratio of the armhole/sleeve head/ your shoulders just dont match.. the armhole can be shaped a little different from your arm and small so it causes everything else to fall out of proportion. All in all that is not a good thing, with the lapels bowing. I would return it and maybe size up or look at a different model all together. Good luck with what you decide!

10. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

+1

11. radchad3

radchad3 Active Member

Thanks you folks even though I wished it fit better! I also have a Napoli fit which I will post here shortly. Thanks again for your thoughts!

12. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Cross-posted from the Tailors' Thread. Just wanted to get a little more feedback before I commit to a decision. Adding to the below notes, I'm probably returning the suit regardless of my decision until I build up some more strength. I'd say my biggest concern is the buttoning stance. I think it might be just a little high and it makes me wonder if I'd be better off going with a MTM Kent Wang suit in a few months instead. Finding a RTW suit that is long enough is challenging.

13. radchad3

radchad3 Active Member

Alright, here is the Napoli Jacket. Judging by the Sienna Jacket I am guessing this is too small as well but please let me know what needs fixed. The collar has been pinned. Thanks again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

I am not too familiar with proper terminology, especially for pants but the jacket looks great. The only thing I see is something I have as well and that is the wrinkling on the back of your left shoulder/arm hole. A tailor on here, told me that, that is because I have a low left shoulder thus creating this and there really isn't much else I/you can do about that.

15. IVotedForKodos

IVotedForKodos Member

I DREAM of a Washington cut jacket with PEAK lapels......