• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that you own your style—bold suits cut close to your body. I appreciate that many guys in suits are trying to blend into the crowd, but life is already bleak enough. I want to put on some joy when I get dressed.

People wear suits for different reasons.

A person selling menswear can dress for their target audience. Then an individual wanting to just wear suits for enjoyment can lean a bit more towards those bigger personalities we see on TV such as McGregor and some of Tim Gunn's outfits. But if an individual wears a suit for work/meetings then he usually has to refrain from extremes to appear professional.

To show my personally I usually rely on ties and pocket squares. I look younger so I have no need to dress in a way to make me look even younger, haha.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People wear suits for different reasons.

A person selling menswear can dress for their target audience. Then an individual wanting to just wear suits for enjoyment can lean a bit more towards those bigger personalities we see on TV such as McGregor and some of Tim Gunn's outfits. But if an individual wears a suit for work/meetings then he usually has to refrain from extremes to appear professional.

To show my personally I usually rely on ties and pocket squares. I look younger so I have no need to dress in a way to make me look even younger, haha.

I'm a broker. I'm in sales. Which means I must dress to impress. Impress whom? Depends on who I'm working with that day. Some days I come in in a shearling bomber jacket, and some days a shocking electric blue 6 on 1 DB tropical wool.

Rarely do I interact with people who want conservative, boxy, yawn-suits. That's not how I am and therefore, it's not the kind of person I conduct business with, by extension.

....maybe when I have to meet my grandfather later this month to move over his policies to my office. But even he knows me best in swim trunks dangling from a rope about to drop into the Mediterranean. I'll probably just wear a muted-pattern SC to that meeting.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a broker. I'm in sales. Which means I must dress to impress. Impress whom? Depends on who I'm working with that day. Some days I come in in a shearling bomber jacket, and some days a shocking electric blue 6 on 1 DB tropical wool.

Rarely do I interact with people who want conservative, boxy, yawn-suits. That's not how I am and therefore, it's not the kind of person I conduct business with, by extension.

....maybe when I have to meet my grandfather later this month to move over his policies to my office. But even he knows me best in swim trunks dangling from a rope about to drop into the Mediterranean. I'll probably just wear a muted-pattern SC to that meeting.

Notice I used the word "usually"-Clearly there are no set standards for every workplace or field, some individuals can dress however they like to an office. Part of my office is becoming that way.

Never did I say boxy suits were the way to go either, haha.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notice I used the word "usually"-Clearly there are no set standards for every workplace or field, some individuals can dress however they like to an office. Part of my office is becoming that way.

Never did I say boxy suits were the way to go either, haha.

To me, I think boxy suits are boring.
Plain suits with dynamic cuts are versatile and check off so many boxes.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious what you view as boxy,

Is the usual Styleforum cut with some Drape what you consider boxy?

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as they say, dress for the job you want

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. That's a dynamic cut imo. I think that if you see somebody wearing a suit and you think to yourself, "myself, how did that man end up with that suit? How long did he have it for, and did it always fit him as poorly as it does now?" you'll know what I'm referring to.

After reflecting on it a bit, there's a certain difference between a suit with a dynamic or aggressive cut and a dynamic or aggressive pattern. Same goes for a staple/"boring" print vs. a boring/boxy cut.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what you consider a 'dynamic cut'.

I used to be into short jackets and very slim suits. These days I find suits with clean lines and a nice drape more appealing. It's also more difficult to achieve.

This Washington is probably the closest I have to a perfectly fitting suit. But I dislike the details on the jacket (ticket pocket, peak lapels and roll 2). The trousers are too tight in the thigh and the rise is too low. Still chasing that perfect fit.

20170626_194235.jpg

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to be into short jackets and very slim suits. These days I find suits with clean lines and a nice drape more appealing. It's also more difficult to achieve.

This Washington is probably the closest I have to a perfectly fitting suit. But I dislike the details on the jacket (ticket pocket, peak lapels and roll 2). The trousers are too tight in the thigh and the rise is too low. Still chasing that perfect fit.

View attachment 972556

That looks dynamic to me!

I just picked up a nice Italian suit with tons of handwork. I'm going to the tailor in a few hours to see if he can make the pants work (they're just too tight in the thighs). I'll try to grab a pic as I think it's the perfect embodiment of a dynamic cut.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 972556
I really like the Washington and it looks great on you. I haven't seen anyone in the store in here that I like but still looking for it.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok back from the tailor.

1. He's letting the isaia out a bit. See the pics for how painted on it is.
2. This second suit is what I mean by a dynamic suit. It's an electric blue tropical summer wool in a 6 on 1 db roll with 4+ inch lapels. You can almost see them from behind. I thought the pants were a lost cause but enzo assured me we can do surgery from the extra inseam and reposition a seam on the inner thigh that will look svelte. I think the jacket fits perfectly as is.
20180511_171707.jpeg
20180511_171640.jpeg
20180511_171817.jpeg
20180511_171753.jpeg

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it could do with being let out a bit, but it doesn't look too bad from that standpoint. The larger issues are the shortness of the jacket and the the high button stance.

Personally I prefer less saturated colours, but you do you.

@Betelgeuse thank you kindly. It's definitely their best silhouette. Pity they don't seem to produce them as much these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads