1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior Member

In the last EU Outlet, if I recall correctly sales were also final.

We can't compare prices without comparing market offer, costs, average cost of living, consumer price indexes, GDP and so on...

A Lazio in the EU costs €299, around USD366. the same Lazio in the US costs USD499, something around €407. In the EU we have a lot of market offer around €299/$366, the vast majority of cloth is made in the EU, wages are lower in the EU, carrying costs are lower in the EU, taxes are easy to calculate, the Netherlands is "kind of a" offshore, with a very liberal taxation scheme.

I wouldn't say it's because standard prices are lower in the EU, perhaps they might even be, but the margin is probably higher.

I think the question is about offer, lower quality offer at higher prices in the US; so they can position their product at a higher price point and; scale, the US is a huge market with higher buying power than the majority of the EU countries.

In the EU €299 is the "just right" price point for a Lazio. I can find good MTM for €400/500, around USD490/610 and for the price of a Jort (USD999) I can almost have Bespoke...

2. Michael81

Michael81 Senior Member

That's certainly not the case here in Finland. MTM starts at €1100, and that's before you've even chosen a fabric. I've been champing at the bit waiting for SuSu to open up the store in Helsinki because their MTM service is so cheap.

3. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior Member

I live in Portugal, a lot of brands carry MTM starting around €400/€500.

My tailor makes bespoke for €1200 with fabric, something like VBC, or Reda, or some Zegna he usually has in the shop. Obviously, if you want something "special" he will get it and charge you for it.

4. Vinsep

Vinsep Well-Known Member

Isn’t it nice to live in Portugal.... I don’t know too much about beskpoke suit pricing. But the lowest price in nyc is about 3500. I heard you can get FIT students to make something cheaper, but, the risk...

5. konix

konix Active Member

so if they only ship part of your outlet order does that mean everything else was out of stock?

6. Vinsep

Vinsep Well-Known Member

A follow up question. Why do you even pay attention to SuSu when you have many great options?

7. h3ro

h3ro Senior Member

Not necessarily. Some items are in stock in different locations and ship quicker. They'll usually send out an email pretty shortly after your order if an item went out of stock while you were checking out.

8. Vinsep

Vinsep Well-Known Member

Different warehouse maybe

9. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior Member

This requires some "clarification". I have only 3 good bespoke suits, being one of them a morning coat and odd trousers. From SuSu I only have Lazio and (old) Havana models.

But the main reasons are:

- for me a suit is an utilitarian item. I work in suits day in day out, I travel internationally in a suit, put them in the bag take them out in some hotel, and so on. I have very little "love" for them.

- this said, I'm price sensitive for something that is going to be beat to death. When I need a suit I see the options, check prices, quality and go for the best cost/quality ratio.

- I like to get styling ideas from the SuSu.

- Last but not least; if I can spend €299 instead of €400 in a suit, great to me.

I'd rather spend my money on nicer things other than clothes, and honestly nobody gives a s*** if it's SuSu, MTM, Bespoke, some known brand or whatever.

10. Nikola

Nikola Distinguished Member

I feel like this current winter collection is online for ages now .. Nothing that I like enough to order anymore, and no signs of anything newwww ....