1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply - cheap bespoke

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Deipnosophist, Mar 16, 2008.

1. fss

fss Well-Known Member

LOL, I was wondering what the catch would be. Puts things in perspective.

2. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

And back to the suits...

I own one SuitSupply suit, a couple of Richard James RTW, BB 1818, MTM from a couple of different tailors and a couple of hand made Italian RTW, slighlty adjusted to me by my tailor (Kiton and Borrelli).
    I can honestly say that I enjoy wearing the SS suit as much as all of the others bar the top end Italian, but seeing as their retail is about 10 times the SS retail, I think that's understandable.

As for the rest of my suits, I like them all (I have discarded any of my cheaper, worse fitting models now that I'm upping the quality of my wardrobe) but they all cost more than the SS model, some of them 2 or 3 times as much but I really don't see any difference in quality. I am a pretty standard fit but seeing as SS offer cheap adjustments to their RTW line, nobody should leave their shop with a badly fitting suit.

In the future, when I have £3000+ to spend, I will go to the row, when I have £700+ to spend, I will buy high-end handmade Italian on B&S and when I have less than £700, I will spend £300 at Suit supply and piss the extra £400 up the wall on a big night out.

Have any of the people bashing SS on this thread ever actually owned one of their suits? And if they don't like them, where would they suggest someone goes to get better value for money without spending significantly over $1000?

Of course there are better quality suits available out there,but at SS's price point, there is nothing close to them.

2 people like this.
  3. ozner

ozner Member

4. Birks and Grey Socks

Birks and Grey Socks Senior member

Just got back their NYC store. Staff was very helpful and professional. My personal biggest problem in OTR suits is my sloped more than average shoulders. I usually have to buy very soft shoulder suits. Most of the time I stick with Corneliani Leader, a softer shoulder drop 7. I find most (but not all) Canali and Zegna too stiff in the shoulders for my frame. I usually wear a 40R but went 42R in Suitsupply's Napoli and Roma fit, their two cuts with the softer shoulder.

I ended up buying 2 suits and will likely get many more. Fantastic quality and construction for $470 USD. If I had more $$$$, I stick with the Italian makes, but at around $500 MSRP, nothing can beat a Suit supply suit. Great soft shoulders, quality half canvassed construction, nice detailing on their unlined or half lined jackets. working button holes. Horn buttons, bemberg lining, cloth from vitale barberis canonico. Slim cut trousers to match.

I did find their shoes to be nothing special. For the money, I'd get some AEs or hunt for Ferragamos on sale.

I also don't know how anyone who has tried on one of their suits can trash the quality like some posters here. At the full retail price of $400-$470 USD of most of their models, they can't be beat. I'd love a RLPL, Kiton or Isaia too if I was richer, but I don't regularly have $2500 for a suits, and hunting for the right color and size on Ebay or SF classifieds rarely works out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  5. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Well-Known Member

6. catch1980

catch1980 Member

I have a MTM 3piece suit from SS, measures have been taken in Antwerp, alterations are being done in Brussels. The suit is not perfect but better than most I have bought so far (Hugo from Hugo Boss).

I asked for the suit to be fitted as tight to the body as possible, tight waist, narrow arms and trousers, no pleat. I would have liked to alter the lapel width (narrower) and hight of the notch (higher) - both was not possible due to their production process. Within limits I could have the closing button moved (downwards).

I have chosen flap pockets and peak lapels but would have preferred a ticket pocket and to have them slanted, which was not possible either. For the moment, you can have a notch lapel and ticket pocket or peak lapel and two pockets. These were the limitations to their customisation options which I have noticed. How many measures they take to alter the standard model for MTM I do not remember but I can recall that the shoulders and arm holes were narrowed, the jacket length was shortened, the trouser's waistband was lowered, and of course length of trousers, sleeves etc.....).

Their advice here was very helpful, as the staff in general is very friendly and helpful. I had told them what I had in mind and showed them one of my favourite suits, they did the measuring, let me choose the customisation options, asked for my preferences on some of the less obvious choices like jacket length and hight of the trouser's waistband and took care of the more technical issues.

After six weeks the suit was ready for trial. The look was good but a number of alterations were obviously necessary: The waistcoat needed substantial tapering, the trouser legs had still to be made narrower, the bottom adjusted, jacket sleeves were shortened, the waist let out by a tiny bit and there was too much room at the collar.

I tried the suit a second time after the alterations had been done and with the exception of the waistcoat it does fit well now, whith the exception of one or two details that seem impossible to be changed. I might ask for a second opinion by my alterations tailor here.

All in all, I am happy customer for the moment. I will pick up the suit after the waistcoat will - hopefully - be good on Monday. But then, the suit has yet to stand the on-road test.

If there is interest, I will keep posting.

7. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Does this mean that there was a gap between the coat collar and your shirt collar? If so, that is very bad indeed. But perhaps you mean something else?

Thanks for posting. That was informative.

8. catch1980

catch1980 Member

this is exactly what I meant - but the problem is solved, the gap is gone. and it seemed not a huge issue to get it snug.

9. soundsgood

soundsgood Senior member

I have gone around NYC to several shops and can not find a suit that fits me, they all buckle out at the lapels because my shoulders naturally stand further behind my chest. I am thinking about getting a grey mtm suit there, they said it would cost about $900-1k. So far the reviews seem good, but are there better mtm suits out there for this money or is this place completely reasonable?

Also, after studying the website a bit, I've noticed the "London" style has the slimmest lapels, but I'm not sure about the "heavier english shoulder". Are the lapels on the London still very wide? I can't tell.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. ToDie4Style

ToDie4Style Well-Known Member

I too am interested in Suit Supply. What's the turn around time?

11. Omega

Omega Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,
    I would like to buy MTM shirts and saw SuitSupply store on Vigo street. It was quite busy unlike other stores nearby. What is your opinion of SuitSupply MTM shirts, especially with easy care or non iron fabric? How are they quialitywise in comparison to other brands or tailors?
    Thank you

12. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

same mediocre asian factory as proper cloth.

just looked at the date of this thread. in 2012 they were using a good factory in Portugal.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Factory location doesn't matter. Fabric quality does.

14. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

15. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

Theirs double breasted have a very nice cut.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]