1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply - cheap bespoke

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Deipnosophist, Mar 16, 2008.

1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

What specifically was bad about the cut if you don't mind me asking?

2. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Suit Supply is a more than decent choice in their price range. Good fit, decent quality. Nothing to get all hyper about, but good quality for its price.

3. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Impressive :).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

Does anyone know what price the MTM program starts at?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Their cheapest MTM-service (Blue Line) starts at €350 in Europe, Suit-up starts at €450. Not sure which service is available in the US.

Blue Line:
    - Over 60 Italian fabrics
    - Pure Wool in Super 110 & Super 120

Suit-up:
    - Fully made to measure
    - Over 600 Italian fabrics
    - Pure Wool / Cashmere in Super 110 to Super 200

6. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

I don't get it -- how bad can a suit be for $600 that people here keep trashing it? Methinks it has to do more with the image/advertising, but once you put it on its not as if it says "Suitsupply" anywhere on the outside...this isn't Ed Hardy. If they're making ok-quality suits at a decent price point (which they seem to be doing), is it such a bad thing?

7. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I've seen Zegna suits that look dreadful on people because of fit problems, and I've seen people in suits from Zara that looked very good. Ultimately, if your suit doesn't fit properly, it doesn't matter if it's from Target or Saville Row. If these suits fit, the material is decent, and the price isn't overly inflated then they're a worthwhile choice. If the suit looks bad, then it's the buyer's fault 90% of the time, because it doesn't fit properly.

8. ozner

ozner Member

I recently had a suit made from them (personal tailoring-Suit-up). A navy pinstripe, notch lapel 2 button SB jacket, double vents, with flap pockets. Fully canvassed (stitched, not glued).

I had my measurements taken in Amsterdam, but had the suit delivered in London (I move around a lot) at no extra cost.
    It is made to measure, but they do not take your measurements directly. Instead, the measurement/fitting process is as follows:

first you are shown three or four jacket "styles/models" to choose from (many people complain about their high button stance, and I agree with them. Fortunately they also have models with lower button stance). After that, you put on a jacket of the style you have chosen that is about your right size (shoulder-wise) and define with you all the "changes" that should be made, pinning them down with pins, so you can actually see the effect. If I recall correctly I had "changes" in at least 25 different points of the jacket. The same goes for the trousers (my choice was trousers without belt loops and side tabs). The process takes around 40 minutes, and the service is really good. The guy who measured me suggested every single adjustment, explaining why he would do it, and making me choose when more than a matter of fit it was a matter of style choice (eg. the width of the trousers at the ankle, the closeness of the fit on the shoulders).
    After that, I was given swatches of cloth to choose from, as well as swatches for the lining and buttons.

The suit arrived after a month. I had a fitting in the london store, and we decided to shorten the trouser length. The rest of the fit was quite good in my opinion. You also have the option of wearing the suit for one or two weeks and then come back to make any adjustments you deem necessary. In my case, after some daysg I noticed that even though the fit of the jacket was quite good, after some movements the jacket would move backward a little, i.e. the jacket collar would move away from the shirt collar, just a tiny bit. I went back to the shop and they agreed with me. They explained that the top part of the back of the jacket (just below the collar) had been made a bit too short, and thus even though this gave me a nicer fit in the lower back, it created the problem with the collar. Since this could not be adjusted, they offered to take my measurements again and order another jacket with the new corrections, free of charge (in the meanwhile I will keep the current jacket). They also gave me a discount on a second pair of trousers.

The price of the suit was around 420 euros.

9. perpetua

perpetua Senior member

Anyone know who makes SuitSupply's shoes? They're labeled as made in Italy, but I'm no real judge of quality.

10. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Those shoes are nothing special. I've heard Cordwainer has some involvement but I'm not sure. Unlike their suits I'd stay away from their shoes probably.

11. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Nothing wrong with there shoes. Proper quality for an decent price.

12. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Well, they are exactly what you can expect for sub 200 euro shoes. If that's good enough for you go for it. I was not impressed by their quality when I had them in my hands.

13. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

What a bullshit, the are made of proper quality. It doesn't mean if you are not convinced about something that it has to be like that. Also depending your review on ''viewing' is just marginal. The are not Crocket & Jones or Aldens, but that's where you pay for.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  14. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Ah, I probably dismissed your shoe collection as poor, right? Get your panties untwisted.

I've fitted them, the leather and suede is of reasonable quality but only that, their soles are not very thick, their construction is nothing special. Exactly as you can expect from shoes in that price-range. I don't claim that they are worse compared to similar priced shoes.

I wouldn't buy those shoes as I set the bar for shoes higher than for suits. I'd rather spent some more and buy me higher quality shoes, that's my take on it. IMO Suitsupply shoes cannot pass for higher priced shoes, unlike their suits.

15. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

You dont know anything about my collection of shoes. Pull off the diapers pall.

Basing your view on a brand just because of your 'fitting experience' is just a selective opinion which doesn't say anything about the general quality of there shoes. Also as i said before, the shoes are proper. Not excellent but also far from poorly. However (like my self) i do understand that some of us establish a higher standard. Which is good, but dont go personal.

16. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Eh, you're kicking a dead horse here, the actual line of my post was 'they are exactly what you can expect for sub 200 euro shoes.' Unless you call the quality in that price-range the epitome of shoe craftsmanship, what exactly is your problem?

I never got personal before you called my post 'a bullshit'. Why did you edit that later on anyway? If you're trying to debate this so vigorously you perhaps should stop calling my opinion 'marginal' or 'selective' or whatever the f*ck you're trying to say and post some actual experience with those shoes instead.

Newsflash, all opinions are subjective. *shakes head*

17. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Listen pall,

You really dont make any sense aren't you. If you are to quickly stepped on your toes this is not the place to hang out. Your opinion is marginal. It's based on personal 'fitting'experience without a decent global researching. You dont even own, or tested any pair on a long term. This are nothing more then unsubstantiated arguments.

And about the ''bullshit'' part, it might be time to look in a dictionary to find out the definition on it. It's far from personal which can't be said about ''Get your panties untwisted''.

Newsflash, all opinions are subjective. But when the are based on facts and with good arguments, it might be more convincing.

18. kook

kook Well-Known Member

I don't get what you're arguing about?

19. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Neither do I.

I appearantly stepped on his toes by labelling those shoes as not bad but nothing to get all excited about.
    It resulted in some vague engrish rant from his side where it seems that he hasn't read anything I did post.

It's hilarious how he calls my opinion bullshit while he's arguing the same point more or less.

20. Roy

Roy Senior member

Did he mention he works for suitsupply on the weekends?