• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits Without Ties

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fairly recent WAYWRN post by Phat Guido got me thinking that it is possible to wear a suit without a tie and not only not look like a complete douchebag, but actually look good. So, first, has anyone else done this regularly?

For those who have pulled this look off well, what makes it work and what makes it fail.

I'll include a poll
devil.gif

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
What makes it work is 2 things in my opinion, 1, wearing the right shirt i.e a plain BD and 2, grooming.
What makes it fail is the opposite to that

1. I often wear a pale blue or white OCBD with a light grey or navy SB suit. I would never wear a non-BD shirt w/o tie with a suit.
2. I always shave and take care of my hair when I put on a suit.

The worst look is the non-BD shirt, unshaved face and unkempt hair à la many Hollywood types.

Another mistake (IMO) I've seen many make with this look is trying to make it even less formal by donning casual shoes or even trainers...a BIG NO NO!!!!

I always wear one of the pair of formal shoes I 'd normally wear with a suit.

So, when I do it: grooming, OCBD, same shoes.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I wore a solid black Ferragamo suit (
lol8[1].gif
) with a white and black pin-striped shirt, and while the combination looked good, I did not feel right about it, as if something was missing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where your stigma comes from but there's nothing douchebaggy about wearing a suit without a tie. Some like the look, some don't - but "complete douchebag"?
eh.gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not care for the look. No tie = odd jacket, IMHO.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I do it occasionally when I travel. It sort of makes me feel like a guy who just left a hooker asleep in his hotel, slunked out without paying her, and is one his way home to lie to his wife about where he has been.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I do it occasionally when I travel. It sort of makes me feel like a guy who just left a hooker asleep in his hotel, slunked out without paying her, and is one his way home to lie to his wife about where he has been.

I just feel kinda cold at the neck.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I note that there is no explicit value judgement in your words, but it seems you don't quite approve of this behavior. Embrace your inner alley-cat!

As far as it goes, I loosen the grooming standards slightly - I don't want to look like someone who just yanked off his tie in a vain attempt to become affable and cool. The rest stays as it normally does.

Countertenor

Reaction score
I tried it once, for a recent series of concerts. I did a solid navy suit with a nice white button-down non-dress shirt. Though people said it looked nice, some people commented that it had a certain... (ahem)... "presidential" feel...
iran.jpg

David V

Reaction score

= total douchebag

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This made me laugh out loud.
It seems totally out of character for you; both the hooker thing and the no tie thing.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've done it, but I won't likely do it again on purpose - I can see myself pulling the tie off on a long train ride or plane ride home, perhaps.

I tend to find that it mostly just looks like something is missing. Agree with gdl that douchebag is a bit of an extreme judgment, but I suppose that guys who wear black suits and shiny shirts at the club are pretty douchey.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I note that there is no explicit value judgement in your words, but it seems you don't quite approve of this behavior. Embrace your inner alley-cat!

I think you totally misread his post. He was fantasizing. Rakish indeed!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it can look good, so long as everything fits. I don't always like wearing a tie (especially when all I'm doing is sitting at a desk for 10 hours), and just because I don't shouldn't mean I shouldn't wear a suit. But to each his own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads