• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits with similar cut to RLBL Anthony

Reaction score
The RLBL Anthony suit fits me like no other, but $1500 is outside my price range.

Anyone else make a suit that is similar in terms of cut (and perhaps lower price point)?

The main features which I like are the thin cut, notch lapels, double vents, and the narrow arms.

Francis

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brooks Bros Fitzgerald, maybe.

Reaction score
Thanks, these look like good suggestions.

Taking a look at BB's website, couple things I noticed.

The arm holes of the Milano appear higher than the Fitzgerald and more RLBL-ish.

Also, the Milano has two vents whereas the Fitzgerald has a single vent. (RLBL Anthony = two vents).

Biggest difference I see is the shoulder on RLBL Anthony appears less sloped than the Milano, although someone correct me if I'm seeing things.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by francisxslaughtery
Thanks, these look like good suggestions.

Taking a look at BB's website, couple things I noticed.

The arm holes of the Milano appear higher than the Fitzgerald and more RLBL-ish.

Also, the Milano has two vents whereas the Fitzgerald has a single vent. (RLBL Anthony = two vents).

Biggest difference I see is the shoulder on RLBL Anthony appears less sloped than the Milano, although someone correct me if I'm seeing things.

Not sure if it's less sloped, but the RL's BL suits are known to have heavily padded shoulders, while the Milano does not.

Reaction score
That's what I thought.

Less shoulder padding isn't a serious a drawback for me though, my shoulders aren't sloping.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Brooks Brothers Milano versus RLBL? In terms of fabric or durability? Is $900 a justifiable price for the Milano in your view?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get the Milano for much cheaper than $900 during their current sale. Their sizes and color are currently limited though.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's what I thought.

Less shoulder padding isn't a serious a drawback for me though, my shoulders aren't sloping.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Brooks Brothers Milano versus RLBL? In terms of fabric or durability? Is $900 a justifiable price for the Milano in your view?

RLBL is fully canvassed and uses pretty good fabric.

I believe BB Milano is half canvassed, and will probably use a fabric of lower quality than what you'd find on RLBL.

If I were offered either suit at the same price, I'd pick RLBL without hesitation (though the super-strong shoulders on the current lines really do bug me). But if you're budget conscious here, BB Milano might make more sense.

Someone will no doubt chime in with "Wait for RLBL on sale in B&S!" To which I would reply that RLBL suits in staple colors and sizes usually get snapped up within 5 seconds of being posted on B&S. I can't tell you how many
ffffuuuu.gif
moments I've had clicking open a freshly posted B&S listing for RLBL, only to see "Sold!" appear in the listing almost instantaneously.

Reaction score
Thanks Don Carlos, very useful. I had to look up information on exactly what canvassing was (versus fusing / half canvas etc.) and that was very instructive.

And yes, from what I can tell, the odds of getting a RLBL suit on B&S are about as good as winning the lottery while being struck by lightning.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Someone will no doubt chime in with "Wait for RLBL on sale in B&S!" To which I would reply that RLBL suits in staple colors and sizes usually get snapped up within 5 seconds of being posted on B&S. I can't tell you how many
ffffuuuu.gif
moments I've had clicking open a freshly posted B&S listing for RLBL, only to see "Sold!" appear in the listing almost instantaneously.

+1

Depending on your size, there are a few on ebay, though

Reaction score
38R fits me for RLBL Anthony.

This is a popular size, correct? Meaning, even harder to find on sale/ebay/B&S.

garymyman

Reaction score
38R fits me for RLBL Anthony.

This is a popular size, correct? Meaning, even harder to find on sale/ebay/B&S.

Ha, yeah. Good luck with that one. I'm a 40R and these thinks are rarer on sale than... something pretty rare.

I found one in my size on ebay once, in solid navy, and was outbid at the last second. From then on I started using gixen.com to ebay snipe. Sigh.

Have you looked at Paul Smith? From what I understand they do a good trim suit, also.

Reaction score
Just looked. Paul Smith "The Willoughby" was the most similar I could find. I think it looks pretty good, but I'd prefer double vent instead of center.

ktrp

Reaction score
Willoughby looks mid fit, you sure you don't want a slim fit?

I like the shoulders on the RLBL, but I don't like the short jacket, though I know they're in fashion. I'm 6'3", my legs look plenty long enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads