Suits with Non-Standard Fabrics: Acetate

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Made in California, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

I recently decided that I wanted to get a suit in black. To keep from looking like the help however I figured I'd get it in linen or something. But then I was browsing around and found this suit that's unlined (another big thing I was looking for, love the look of an unlined suit) but it's made of 50% acetate/50% viscose.. I'd never seen this before, definitely never had the luxury of experiencing it in person.

How should I expect a fabric like this to perform?
    What is the maker trying to accomplish using this specific fabric blend?
    Will this achieve my goal of a black suit in a "casual" fabric or will it have too much of a sheen to be worn in day time?

2. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

I had a decade ago a staple dark navy almost black suit from Corneliani CC ( the not handmade label) that was made from 50% wool, 50% acetate. Had no sheen, otherwise I would have not bought it.

Sure there is nothing like high account pure wools, but honestly that not natural suit was my favorite at that time, but because the cut was very good. Was a bit stiff on the other hand.

3. Made in California

Perhaps this is the reason for the viscose, to give it better drape?

4. Made in California

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/rayon-acetate-synthetics-menswear/

"While silk-lined jackets are considered a luxury item, the more common acetate is actually the superior fabric due to its high wrinkle resistance, low static cling, and superior wicking and moisture absorption. [...] lacks the durability needed for an exterior fabric."

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

This

"but it's made of 50% acetate/50% viscose.. I'd never seen this before, definitely never had the luxury of experiencing it in person."

Is not a luxury, it is an abomination to which no thinking person with any self respect would give house room.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015