• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits with Generous Upper Legs

km268

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really struggling finding a suit that I can fit in off the rack. Jackets aren't a problem (38 or 40 short) but the matching trousers are always too tight across the crouch and in the seat. I'm a 34" waist and in some trousers I've tried going up a size and had the same problem. I've tried Hackett, TM Lewin, Cerutti and Richard James to name a few and all have the same problem. On the one occasion I found a pair of trousers that just fitted the rest of the lag was baggy and looked odd.

Can anyone suggest any brands/tailors I can try? I have £300 to spend and want a plain navy, two-button suit (semi-tailored jacket) but I would also get a charcoal if that's the only option. If the only option is to get a suit MTM then I will have to spend more but I need a suit by mid-January so most tailoring times are too long. Is there anywhere that I may buy a jacket off the rack and get a trouser made in a shorter time period (in London)?

Thanks for your help,
Kieran

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by km268
Hello,

I'm really struggling finding a suit that I can fit in off the rack. Jackets aren't a problem (38 or 40 short) but the matching trousers are always too tight across the crouch and in the seat. I'm a 34" waist and in some trousers I've tried going up a size and had the same problem. I've tried Hackett, TM Lewin, Cerutti and Richard James to name a few and all have the same problem. On the one occasion I found a pair of trousers that just fitted the rest of the lag was baggy and looked odd.

Can anyone suggest any brands/tailors I can try? I have £300 to spend and want a plain navy, two-button suit (semi-tailored jacket) but I would also get a charcoal if that's the only option. If the only option is to get a suit MTM then I will have to spend more but I need a suit by mid-January so most tailoring times are too long. Is there anywhere that I may buy a jacket off the rack and get a trouser made in a shorter time period (in London)?

Thanks for your help,
Kieran

You could always get the pants tapered if they're too baggy on the bottom end. I've done that with a lot of my pants since I have fairly large thighs. Costs about $10-15 to get that done in NY.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish we had that problem here in the US. Almost every lower and mid-tier RTW suit sold in the States is extremely billowy in the thigh area.

km268

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I wish we had that problem here in the US. Almost every lower and mid-tier RTW suit sold in the States is extremely billowy in the thigh area.

Could that mean an American brand would be a better option? Although, I'm not sure of which are American.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a Polo suit with forward facing pleats. Not sure which model has these though.

Mike

Worth-n-Style

Reaction score
You might wanna try instead of a complete suit, a dress jacket with a pair of nice pants matching the colors of the ensamble. White shirts always do the job complementing the look. You can use your sense of coordination to match the overall look with tie, type of knot and color you choose. When I do this it's usually with flat front pants, but you can go with pleated Kenneth Cole slacks or even a pair of Haggar's which are not at all expensive and they are very comfortable also come in a wide variety of colors and materials. You can wear this and look very conservative...
GOOD LUCK AND LOOK GOOD!

km268

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Try a Polo suit with forward facing pleats. Not sure which model has these though.

Mike

What s a Polo suit?

Originally Posted by Worth-n-Style
You might wanna try instead of a complete suit, a dress jacket with a pair of nice pants matching the colors of the ensamble. White shirts always do the job complementing the look. You can use your sense of coordination to match the overall look with tie, type of knot and color you choose. When I do this it's usually with flat front pants, but you can go with pleated Kenneth Cole slacks or even a pair of Haggar's which are not at all expensive and they are very comfortable also come in a wide variety of colors and materials. You can wear this and look very conservative...
GOOD LUCK AND LOOK GOOD!

Thanks, this is a last option really as I would like a matching suit.

Kieran

Mac

Reaction score
All you need to do is fine a brand that does mix and match for jacket size and trouser size. Try Chester Barrie -- some of their suits do. Moreover, there's a sale on so you could probably snag one for £300.

As a last resort, Marks & Spencer also does it.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What s a Polo suit?

Polo, by Ralph Lauren. Several of the suits in the line have trousers that are full cut and have forward facing pleats (not reverse pleats, which are more common). Both of these features create a very comfortable trouser, especially above the knee. They are also, in my opinion, quite stylish.

Mike

km268

Reaction score
Polo, by Ralph Lauren. Several of the suits in the line have trousers that are full cut and have forward facing pleats (not reverse pleats, which are more common). Both of these features create a very comfortable trouser, especially above the knee. They are also, in my opinion, quite stylish.

Mike

Will I be able to find this for my budget of around £300?

Thanks
K

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will I be able to find this for my budget of around £300?

Thanks
K

Hit E-Bay.

Mike

__PG__

Reaction score
Versace Collection has quite a generous cut around the thigh. As do Polo Ralph Lauren (I just bought the Bradford model trouser as a separate).

I'm a cyclist/skier/martial-artist so I often struggle to fit into off-the-rack suit trousers.

Higher-end suits often come with more material to help you, e.g. Canali usually give you over an inch in the inseam and two inches in the waistband to give you plenty of options. At 300 pounds you'll be able to get a suit online, although if you're a suit newbie and you don't know what size/model fits you best this may be a risky option.

Worth-n-Style

Reaction score
I just checked on line and Jos. A. Bank is having a 60%-70% off sale on some nice pieces. One in particular is item #10043 that's just $298.00 and #10721 $199.00 w/free shipping. Take a look in their web site wwwJosBank.com or call their toll free number 1-800-285-2265 and I'm quite sure you'll find what you need my friend. Take care!
-Ricky-

km268

Reaction score
Hit E-Bay.

Mike

Originally Posted by __PG__
Versace Collection has quite a generous cut around the thigh. As do Polo Ralph Lauren (I just bought the Bradford model trouser as a separate).

I'm a cyclist/skier/martial-artist so I often struggle to fit into off-the-rack suit trousers.

Higher-end suits often come with more material to help you, e.g. Canali usually give you over an inch in the inseam and two inches in the waistband to give you plenty of options. At 300 pounds you'll be able to get a suit online, although if you're a suit newbie and you don't know what size/model fits you best this may be a risky option.

Originally Posted by Worth-n-Style
I just checked on line and Jos. A. Bank is having a 60%-70% off sale on some nice pieces. One in particular is item #10043 that's just $298.00 and #10721 $199.00 w/free shipping. Take a look in their web site wwwJosBank.com or call their toll free number 1-800-285-2265 and I'm quite sure you'll find what you need my friend. Take care!
-Ricky-

Thanks for the suggestions but as I haven't found one suit that fits so far I don't want to buy online when I haven't been able to try the trousers on. So it's not looking too successful atm!

K

dsmolken

Reaction score
Since you're in the UK, try Alexandre of Savile Row. On sale it should be in your price range. Not sure if today's version will fit the same, but I got a suit two years ago and it's got a good amount of room in the top half of the trousers with a fairly slim-cut jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads