• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits vs Water

Chich

Reaction score
hey guys,

I read that a fussed jacket tends to start bubbling when it gets exposed to generous amounts of water, what happens to full canvas jackets? Also how much water is needed for the damage to occur?

Thanks

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not a subject anyone can answer. How many hailstones will ruin a car?

Poor quality fusible will break down eventually, and that process will be accelerated by water.

When wool gets wet it can move and shrink, the trouble comes when the wool changes shape and the fusible it trying to pull it into its old shape. That can make ripples and pulls.

Higher quality wools will hold up bet to getting damp.

Merino wool holds about 30% of its own weight in water before suffering adverse effects. That means an entire suit might be able to withstand half a glass of water if it were evenly distributed and then left to air dry.

Canvas is better because it is not totally connected to the cloth (it is stitched rather that a smooth sheet of glue) and thus can handle movements and small changes better. It is however a cotton-horsehair thing and will absorb water eventually.

All of this is also in the context that higher quality materials will handle moisture in a more predictable way.

Chich

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the info. I assume though that eventually even a canvas jacket will start to ripple? So with that in mind, probably a good idea to avoid things such as rain then?

Cheers

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score

Interesting, thanks for the info. I assume though that eventually even a canvas jacket will start to ripple? So with that in mind, probably a good idea to avoid things such as rain then?

Cheers

Just use an umbrella when there is any kind of precipitation (problem solved).

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit of precipitation on a suit or jacket has never caused me major issues. However I can say that I have never seriously soaked an item. I'd say don't worry if a bit of rain gets on you. Worry if you get soaked. Of course, different materials behave different ways. So try to stay dry.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers

No. The bubbling and rippling you hear about is caused by the fusing coming unglued from the cloth in spots. Since canvas is stitched on rather than glued, it's not likely that you'll develop any problems that can't be fixed by a pressing.

All that said, fusing has gotten much, much better in the decades since it was first introduced, so while there are still issues with overall quality, bubbling issues are largely a thing of the past.

Personally, I've never had any issues with rain on jackets, fused or canvassed, but I do tend to try and stay dry. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Chich

Reaction score
Just use an umbrella when there is any kind of precipitation (problem solved).
A bit of precipitation on a suit or jacket has never caused me major issues. However I can say that I have never seriously soaked an item. I'd say don't worry if a bit of rain gets on you. Worry if you get soaked. Of course, different materials behave different ways. So try to stay dry.

Haha yeah see, I carry around a little portable umbrella for such things but recently as I've started learning about suits, I've become so much more aware of the hordes of people in the city that come into the trains/trams absolutely soaked from the rain in their suits and it just seems like I'm missing all the fun being nice and dry under my umbrella :p

No. The bubbling and rippling you hear about is caused by the fusing coming unglued from the cloth in spots. Since canvas is stitched on rather than glued, it's not likely that you'll develop any problems that can't be fixed by a pressing.

All that said, fusing has gotten much, much better in the decades since it was first introduced, so while there are still issues with overall quality, bubbling issues are largely a thing of the past.

Personally, I've never had any issues with rain on jackets, fused or canvassed, but I do tend to try and stay dry. Don't worry about it.

Interesting, so pressing a canvassed suit should normally fix issues arising from water exposure? I'm assuming this is unless you expose to enough water that the wool starts to shrink?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting, so pressing a canvassed suit should normally fix issues arising from water exposure? I'm assuming this is unless you expose to enough water that the wool starts to shrink?

Wool doesn't actually shrink much. It felts. With large amounts of agitation when wet, the scales on the wool fibers get raised, and start sticking too each other. With loose and fluffy yarns in a sweater, that can become a big problem- they stick to each other, and thus become denser. When you have the same amount of wool, but it's all much tighter together, you get a garment that's much smaller than it once was. But when you walk around in a wool suit, you're not really rubbing the wool too much, except under the arms and between your legs, and they don't get too wet in a rainstorm. You might get some pilling, but especially in a cloth with tightly spun thread, you're going to see very little effect.

For a canvassed suit, the wetness might release some of the previous pressing job. When a suit is pressed, it's stretched and formed to hold in a particular shape, since with a little steam and heat, you can get wool to hold a shape, a crease being a fairly obvious example. It won't do any damage to the suit, but you may lose the shaping, and the suit will look rumpled. A pressing restores that shape and makes the suit look crisp again.

Last edited:

Chich

Reaction score
Ah wise one, you are very knowledgeable indeed. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads