• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits v. Odd Jackets/Trousers

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I begin my journey toward an increasingly adult wardrobe, I find myself gravitating more and more to odd jackets and trousers. I work in digital media, and suits are incredibly rare - even at the highest levels. I find that with an odd jacket/trouser combination I feel like I strike a better balance between being dressed better than most, yet not totally in a different hemisphere with a suit.

I can't be the only one. So, what say you? In any given week, what percentage of days are you pairing odd jackets/trousers together versus full suits?

dv_indian

Reaction score
I do the same as well. I work in IT in a super casual environment. I wear odd jackets without a tie to find that balance between my need to dress well and to not look over dressed in the environment I am in.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
I do the same as well. I work in IT in a super casual environment. I wear odd jackets without a tie to find that balance between my need to dress well and to not look over dressed in the environment I am in.

Your signature is hilarious.

Oleg

Reaction score
Depends on your profession/work place. When I was doing policy work in Westminster, anything other than a suit would have been pretty unthinkable. I'd imagine most of the Wall St bunch are in suits all the time, aren't they? Back in academia, I rarely wear one (and frequently don't bother with a jacket). Some colleagues do as it's a way of dividing work and downtime in a profession where that boundary blurs and we all end up working too long. But, unless I'm meeting the VC, have an 'external stakeholder' meeting (i.e. trying to blag some money!), or it's graduation or some such, I don't

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any day I'm in court is a suit day. Occasionally if I'm not meeting clients I'll wear a sport coat instead, but still a tie of course.

ktrp

Reaction score
People wear suit+tie here for client meetings, otherwise its business casual, which means an odd jacket makes me among the best dressed here. Ties are unheard of if not seeing a client. I've started throwing PS in the jackets since it gives a chance to add colour you'd normally do with a tie.

If I magically had 10k to spend on clothes right now, I'd add one suit, 4 pairs of C&J level shoes, the rest odd jackets/trousers.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd jacket and trousers is pretty common where I work, mainly among older colleagues. I do it occasionally, but think it's a lot more difficult to do well than a suit, if I'm honest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads