1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suits Sucked in the 1990s

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

The suppressed waist makes it seem very modern but the cloth dates it somewhat. I definitely see what you mean about TF possibly selling something similar these days.

2. RSS

RSS Senior member

The suppressed waist makes it seem very modern but the cloth dates it somewhat. I definitely see what you mean about TF possibly selling something similar these days.
    Pray tell ... how does the cloth date it? I've seen similar cloth at Huntsman only recently. I also saw similar cloth decades ago.

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I dont think there are classic designs. [​IMG] [​IMG] I love men's suits from the 20's. But if you were to wear this today SF would laugh at you.
    Eh? Apart from the done up bottom buttons SF would certainly not laugh at anyone dressed like that. In-fact, someone dressing like that would probably get considerable praise in WAYWRN.

4. chevron

chevron Well-Known Member

It's clear that the "jackets as long as the sleeves" Thom Browne thing is very far from timeless, but what about today's mainstream which has taken an essentially timeless suit and slimmed it up. I could understand some future concessions to comfort (pleats mostly) but are suits going to be so baggy or wide lapelled that 2010 Tom Ford looks ridiculous in 2025? Please comment if you've been conscious of men's wear for over 30 years.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

the 50's and 60's could easily be worn today: [​IMG] 70's werent bad: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1986: I think we actually had this at an RL store last year. [​IMG] 89 [​IMG] 97 [​IMG]

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

7. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's clear that the "jackets as long as the sleeves" Thom Browne thing is very far from timeless, but what about today's mainstream which has taken an essentially timeless suit and slimmed it up. I could understand some future concessions to comfort (pleats mostly) but are suits going to be so baggy or wide lapelled that 2010 Tom Ford looks ridiculous in 2025? Please comment if you've been conscious of men's wear for over 30 years.

I have not been conscious of menswear for more than 30 years, but the trouble is that RTW styles are ever changing. Did those '90s suits look so terrible or dated in the '90s? No, they looked perfectly modern. The lapels aren't particularly huge or small, and there's nothing really dramatically eyegrabbing about them. They are, even by modern standards, relatively conservative. But then RTW fashions changed, as fashion must, and now the '90s look rather silly.

It is possible to find specimens of "timeless" suits, but they are the exception rather than the rule. And the RTW most likely to fit the mold also tends to be the most dowdy.

9. saint

saint Senior member

30 Rock, Thursday nights on NBC.

The nice thing about the 90s was that it was still easy to find forward-pleated trousers with a decent rise, though they were usually too baggy. Jacket were terrible, with a low gorge, low button stance, and jackets never had side vents. However, there were some great suits made by Polo Ralph Lauren (still in America) at the time.

Not true about the jackets, especially the vents. I have RLPL, Brioni and Kiton suits and jackets from the '90s that have side vents. Except for pleated pants, the Kiton and Brioni suits look up to date. The RLPL from that period can have huge shoulders.

As for Alec Baldwin, I think pastry happened to him.

10. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

WTF happened to Alec Baldwin?

On the plus side, Ralph Fiennes looks much better with age.

11. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

12. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

13. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Pray tell ... how does the cloth date it? I've seen similar cloth at Huntsman only recently. I also saw similar cloth decades ago.
    You ask me why I think the cloth dates it and then you tell me you saw a similar cloth decades ago? I think you have your answer.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

You ask me why I think the cloth dates it and then you tell me you saw a similar cloth decades ago? I think you have your answer.
    I also saw classic navy decades ago. Your answer is a cop-out.

15. JG000

JG000 Senior member

Does someone out there have a suit they bought 15 years ago that they still wear today? Of course you can alter it.
    Sort of. I've inherited several suits from my father (purchased about 15-25 years ago) and almost all of them have translated well into today's menswear "do's and dont's". He was really only buying conservative stuff at the time, so they've all held up nicely in relative terms of quality, style and fit.

16. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

My father's narrow ties in the 60s goes very well with the slim fit suits in H&M, Zara, etc. I looked at one and saw it was made by Arrow, and thought how I have only seen 3.5" from them now. My grandfather wants me to wear his bespoke from Hong Kong. He was born 1919. I haven't looked at his surviving collection but I am sure it will be on GQ in the next couple of decades.

The thing is towards the late 1990s, a turtleneck and khakis and jacket was formal. 3 button suits that were preached to me then with a centre parted hair was a bit lost in the millennial dot com culture.

17. spidercan

spidercan Senior member

If you stick to moderation, it won't go out of style as quickly. But everything will look weird eventually, can't remember the last time I saw somebody casually wearing a tailed tuxedo.

18. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Lots of SFers think they dress classically when they are simply following the current trend for very fitted garments.

+1

19. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

The first suit that I bought myself was in 1993. It was bluish/green. Otherwise known as "teal".

20. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

I can't believe no one has pointed out this yet [​IMG] :

[​IMG]