• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits Sucked in the 1990s

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Yep, I lived through this era...
confused.gif

Suffice to say during the early '90s when I was in my early 20s and on a tight budget I found an old-fashioned high street tailor of the type that was fast disappearing and had all my suits made. My work collegues in my first job used to call me Steed as a p*** take due to my penchant for fitted suits & a tightly furled brolly. Of course I loved it!
laugh.gif

Moss

Reaction score
The Armani look was so relaxed, soft and droopy that it required yards of loose cloth. It ran a bit too far afield to escape the "stiff" and "structured" fit of tradition. I never liked it.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Pretty sure Alec Baldwin could put on that exact same suit today and have it look appropriately fitted...

And yea, "The Coming of Tiger Woods," I'm really surprised nobody dug this cover out during the scandal, that's simply amazing, couldn't have asked for better archives...

runner-guy

Reaction score
Garcia probably looks the best, but even his shoulders look huge. And I like how the Tiger Woods issue features an article on how to cheat on your wife.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The shirts and tie are worse than the suits.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my first suit in the 1990s. I made all the same faux pas a novice makes.

I wasn't sure GQ was even on my radar at the time but you can see some of the same styles on a show like Friends.

Since I'm of the "smaller" and shorter physique, I'm pretty sure the current "trend" will continue to best flatter me unless middle age comes at me with a vengeance.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoolPants
Andy Garcia, looks timeless to me.

This gentleman has STYLE!

I think the cut of his suit is just as bad as the rest. What saves his look is the following:

1. He's wearing a good dark color, vs. that greyish olive that everyone in the 90s seemed really into.

2. He doesn't have the rest of the "90s douchebag" look, such as hair style.

3. It's possible to see that guy and today's Andy Garcia as the same person. Look at Alec Baldwin or Tiger Woods, and you just want to laugh.

3orangewhips

Reaction score
I thought I saw Flusser in that article from '88, but he wasn't wearing jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads