• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suits: Short, Regular, Long?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok im about to buy a real suit (Two button Navy Blue Label ralph Lauren) and I tried on a 38 Regular at the store which I felt looked pretty good. However, Im inclined to get a short because of the slightly shorter Jacket Length and sleeves. Question is what considerations are there when making the choice between a Jacket in Short, regular and Long? anything I am overlooking? cause I know I can get it altered by the store for free, so what else should I consider?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Ok im about to buy a real suit (Two button Navy Blue Label ralph Lauren) and I tried on a 38 Regular at the store which I felt looked pretty good. However, Im inclined to get a short because of the slightly shorter Jacket Length and sleeves. Question is what considerations are there when making the choice between a Jacket in Short, regular and Long? anything I am overlooking? cause I know I can get it altered by the store for free, so what else should I consider?

The key thing is to make sure the jacket is the proper length. The sleeves can be easily altered (as long as they don't have functional buttonholes), but the jacket length can't be added to, and shortening it more than a little will throw off the balance.

In terms of "proper length," make sure the jacket covers your seat, with a little extra to spare. Beyond that, some guys like their coats a little longer, some a little shorter, so personal preference comes into play.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But is the short not cut for a stockier individual? Or maybe just in the RL Polo suits?

I own one of the navy pinstripes, and tried both the 38R and 38S. The R was a but long, but when trying the S, it seemed much too roomy in the chest and waist. I ended up with the R and having it shortened.

Like Doc said, not shortened too much as not to throw off the proportions of the suit

Regards,

Vivek

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.