1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suits in Vietnam...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vinhle37, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

Sorry to resurret this from the dead but how much does dung charge for shirts?
    they come out at $30-50 depending on the cotton. Jantzens are a better buy.

2. BipgoBumpo

BipgoBumpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, $30-60 is what Lam on Dong Khoi charges, depending on the material, and like I said they're better and cheaper than the shirt I got from from Cao Minh, and a hell of a lot better (but not cheaper) than Vinh down in the backpackers' area. He's in the $20-30 range.

3. BipgoBumpo

Here's the latest from Lam, a 3-piece 3-button all wool deal. It's English wool, and too heavy to wear here, I'll have to wait to get back to California to wear this one. This is the first suit they've made for me were the trousers were lined all the way down to the cuff. I'm not entirely happy with the way the sleeves turned out, they're slightly too short, I think. Also, when I went in to pick it up, they had forgotten to put the buttons on the trousers, so I had to wait a little while extra for them to do that. But on the whole, it's another good experience with them. I'll probably order some more shirts from them in a few days or so. I'm glad to hear that there are others on this forum who like Lam, also. I am planning on visiting Dung on my next day off to order something from him. I hope he has seersucker, I've been looking everywhere here for it.

Xin Chao
    I had a Tailor named Vinh make pants and shirts for me 18 months ago and I was quite satisfied so I returned to him. I was able to schedule him to come to my Villa with Samples and take the details here.

I also just picked up a couple of pairs of chinos from Vinh that I ordered just two days ago, and he didn't have to drive his motorbike out to my "villa" to measure me, either. Like I said before, he's not bad for basic pants, but I wouldn't get another shirt from him or a suit from him or anywhere on Bui Vien and that neighborhood if my life depended on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

Dung does have seersucker.

5. BipgoBumpo

Dung does have seersucker.

Great, I hope that means soon, I'll have seersucker. I'll go to Dung on Monday. I assume he takes Visa?

6. Matt

Matt Senior member

ya he does. By the way be careful of piling money on to an overseas credit card though - Vietnam capital flow laws make it damn hard to pay back from here.

If you cant see the seersucker, try next door in Minh's fabric store - Minh is his wife.

7. BipgoBumpo

No seersucker at Dung or next door, according to Minh. But that didn't stop me from putting in an order this evening for a basic 2-button 2-piece cashmere suit and a couple of shirts, ready next month on the 15th. The total price for everything was just $210, which really surprised me.

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

weird, I watched someone buying one in there a year or so ago.

It fit well, but looked awful (and he knew it)...he said 'oh well, always wanted a seersucker, and now I know they don't suit me'

9. BipgoBumpo

Maybe that's why they don't sell it anymore. Anyway, I was impressed with the place, and the price, and am looking forward to going back.

10. BipgoBumpo

Has anybody had this experience at Dung? I went there today for the fitting, and instead of bringing out what will become my jacket, they brought out the beginnings of a jacket made out of a really cheap-looking throwaway material, but made to my measurements and specifications. They said that they didn't have enough of the material I ordered from them to make a suit and I needed to choose a different fabric, and they would use the alterations done on the cheap material as a template for making the suit out of the new fabric.

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

nope, that's a first....

12. BipgoBumpo

Hi guys, remember me? Haven't been online in a while, just remembered I never posted a picture of my suit from Dung, so here it is, as worn at my work Xmas party. You can't really tell in this picture because of the way my arms are folded, but one sleeve is about 2 cm longer than the other, I need to take it back to get it adjusted. Other than that, it's a pretty good suit.
    [​IMG]

13. thanos

thanos Active Member

Resuscitating an old thread here (im new; Gday styleforums!), but for the guys living in Vietnam currently, hows the situation with getting fabric in?

Im goin to be livin with the rellies for a 3 months soon (in Hoi An no less... my uncles in Lonely Planet [​IMG]... but Dung's the best by everyones purview) and was thinkin of getting howard to send abit of fabric to where im stayin and just take it down with me to saigon. Wont be gettin much to start of with, so only need about 4m.

I just havent been able to find anythin about Vietnams current tariff structure... any help be appreciated

Cheers!

14. onix

onix Senior member

You should be fine. I was there last December. As I can remembered, the custom form only asks for valuables like Jewelries, cash, and some restricted stuffs like alcohol and tobacco. 4m of fabric is nothing.

15. thanos

thanos Active Member

thanks for the reply onix... its actually a bit of a bigger trip i got planned... be goin through south east asia for several months, hence i wanted howard to send the fabric to my address in hoi an... i dont know if that'll be a problem

16. AscotMcPocketsquare

AscotMcPocketsquare Senior member

I am looking to get some items made. What is the pricing like for odd jackets and suits at Dung and the other place mentioned in Hanoi?

17. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

so not worth having shirts made here? i'm in saigon now.

18. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Just curious, is Huynh Hoan Tailor still around? They would be located at 13 Phan-Van-Dat in Saigon. At least, that's where they once were. My father claims they were the best tailors back in the day.

I was over at my parents' place for lunch last weekend and pulled out the only suit my father has kept. He recently told me he had it made about 40 years ago with cloth a good friend had given him. Pictures in family albums confirm that my old man's memory re that suit is pretty accurate.

Here are a few closeups I snapped:

label
    [​IMG]

handsewn buttonhole
    [​IMG]

messy inside = proof buttonholes were handsewn?
    [​IMG]

inside pant hem
    [​IMG]

faux lapel buttonhole
    [​IMG]

underside lapel
    [​IMG]

The suit is SB 2B with very narrow lapels and skinny single pleat trousers. The most obvious sign of the suit's age are its lining which isn't as fresh as it once was. When worn, the suit sags as only a suit that old (which has seen a lot of wear) can. I believe Foo refers to this as 'well worn and lived in'.

I can only hope to have a suit still fit me that well after 40 years.

19. super

super Senior member

Got fit pics on that one???

20. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Got fit pics on that one???

Here's my dad wearing it at a wedding we attended this summer. Keep in mind the suit was made some 40 years ago and the man has shrunken a bit with age. He will celebrate his 88th birthday later this year.

[​IMG]