• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flashman

Reaction score
Sirs,

I need to seriously UPDATE and REFRESH my 'work suits'

Its has been a good 1 and half years (too long, i know) since i bought my last pair of work suits. 2 single breast, 2 buttum pin stipes. These were a 'budget' purchase from Moss Bross, mostly to wear during the summer months - as i prefer my 3 piece suits during the Autumn to early spring months.

BUT, i have SERIOUSLY slacked!

I have been wearing the same 4 suits for the past year and a half! Shocking i know!!!

The financial climate has forced me to spend prudently....but TBH i say that and i have still spent on other items on clothing and these have variously amounted to the price of a decent suit!

Now, yesterday i went down to Jermyn Street and Regent Street - popped in to Hackett for a look and see and picked up a lovely Jubilee tweed cap.

But Hacketts entoire colection was so nice and VERY me.

TM and CW also had very nice suits.

I am and have always been considered at my work places to be one of the better dressed blokes.

BUT, i must say i have slipped back BADLY!

Now i have made a PROMISE to make a purchase of a work suit EVERY 3 months.

BUT, i am undecided as to whether i should buy HACKETT (my 1st choice, albeit being the dearest), TM (2nd choice the cheapest) or CT (middle price).

Budget is relatively important, unlike in previous years/times, as i don't want to appear to be inconsiderate at these tough times.

I will be looking and plan to purchase a suit at the end of this month, the end of 3 month of the year so to speak.

Any advice or thought/views would be appreciated.

bgi1.jpg

mg1_362x388.jpg

busloungeimage.jpg

TMLewin_AW08.jpg

men_casualshirts_main_eoss.jpeg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that it really comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

As far as I am aware, Hackett's suits should be the highest quality and they do look very nice.

I have no experience with TM Lewin or Tyrwhitt suits but the opinions on this board lead me to think that they are fairly ordinary. However, as a workhorse suit, particularly when purchased on sale, they are probably entirely adequate and they will serve you well for a while.

Flashman

Reaction score
Thanks Journeyman - i am now thinking if i should stick with Lewin suits for 'work' purposes and have Hakcetts as a 'special events' suit.
I will do if there is a major price difference.

LS7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the price points of Hackett suits? I've never ventured into one of their shops because, possibly very unfairly, I have an image of it being somewhat "chavvy". Those polo shirts with the lettering emblazoned across the front are simply awful.

Take a look over on the B&S forum. There are some great deals on there at the moment on RL stuff, especially if you're around a 40-42.

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LS7
What are the price points of Hackett suits? I've never ventured into one of their shops because, possibly very unfairly, I have an image of it being somewhat "chavvy". Those polo shirts with the lettering emblazoned across the front are simply awful. Take a look over on the B&S forum. There are some great deals on there at the moment on RL stuff, especially if you're around a 40-42.
I have TBH with you - i really dont know what the price poits are for Hackett suits - as i never actually looked at the prices. Its a little trciky to gauge as the web site does not even have suits on it. In reference to the 'chav'; hi-jacking.....i know exactly what you mean - and it has taken me YEARS to rid my mind of that image and i have whilst buying odd items for years, been avoiding the large 'logo' emblazoned items. Recently with more and more 'tweed' purchases and my own wardrobe/image becoming very 'settled' and 'consistent' i am re-embracing Hackett ever than before. I still avoid the 'large' logo emblazoned items (of not just Hackett but ANY brand), but i am falling in love with Hackett again. I will find out the price of Hackett suits, if no more than £200 i will buy Hackett or else opt for Lewin as a work suit.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will find Hackett stuff costs considerably more than TM lewin, and probably more than Charles Tyrwhitt, I think their suits are ~ £500 when not on sale (and they don't do permanent sales like TM Lewin).
I have never owned one but I would have thought they would be considerably better quality, they do MTM in their shop on Jermyn Street, and stuff I have had from them has been much better quality than TM lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt.
Their rugby/polo shirts have certainly become Chav icons but they mostly sell slightly "modernised" British classics, tweed, corduroy etc.

neyus

Reaction score
Hackett make great stuff except for their casual polos which like ralph lauren are just terrible. Remember the big pony?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Who could forget, the 'polo match' variant of the PRL polo shirt?

I have nightmares about that shirt...
Get two people wearing the same polo shirt standing next to each other and you'd have anough horses to recreate a cavalry charge.

neyus

Reaction score
Ralph%20Lauren%20Big%20Pony_26.jpg

Here's another variation of the above.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bloody hell, that last one is an absolute nightmare, its not that far from the sort of t-shirts little kids wear - a picture of a seal/t-rex/a pony - to think that someone out there will pay presumably more than a regular RL polo shirt to capture that 9 year old t shirt look.

Edit: Little kids and wierd girls in some of my Biology classes, I joke not, there is one who has worn the same flannel shirt and fleece with a baby seal face on the front for at least a month.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Hackett suits are actually upwards of about £600. Quite a few are made with Loro Piana fabric these days. However, the only shop i frequent is the Jermyn Street one.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on any of those brands. Charles Tyrwhitt suits are fused, TM Lewin can look nice but is just so boring, and I am of the opinion that all Hackett clothing is a rip off when not on heavy discount.

Your best bet is to get up to somewhere like Bicester Village at the weekend, then you can visit Hackett/PRL/Loro Piana &c. and try get a good deal on a better quality suit.

Winot

Reaction score
If you can, check out Roderick Charles. 7 stores around London inc. Jermyn St and Chancery lane. Used to use same block as Hackett and be comparable quality for less money; have dumbed down in recent years but still better than TM Lewin. They have a sale on at the mo' with medium weight suits for £250 or so. I've just bought a covert coat for the same amount.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Winot
If you can, check out Roderick Charles. 7 stores around London inc. Jermyn St and Chancery lane. Used to use same block as Hackett and be comparable quality for less money; have dumbed down in recent years but still better than TM Lewin. They have a sale on at the mo' with medium weight suits for £250 or so. I've just bought a covert coat for the same amount.

The fit of Roderick Charles OTR is quite quite awful.

Doc4

Reaction score
I have a bit of experience with the CT suits ... they are okay, but you always get "working buttonholes" which they probably think of as a selling point but actually it means you have very little wiggle room with which to shorten the sleeves!! It is also hard to find much selection of suits that have both side vents and flat-front pants. Also, since they sell the jacket and pants seperately, getting the same dye lot of cloth is hit-and-miss (although if you go into the store that can hopefully be avoided.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads