• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flashman

Reaction score
Thanks EVERYONE for the replies...

1. I agree with ALL about the Hackett rugby/polo shirts.....Chavs be damned(!)
2. Appreciate the comments re: Hackett prices etc...i have to think, as the purpose of these suits is for 'work' and whilst i do want to look smart - i need to factor in the budget at these times. So £200-£250 is the max i am willing to go for a 'work' suit! I am due to graduate for my Masters in Law soon, so a '3 piece' with a budget of about £500 is due!
3. I will look at CT suits closely - when i go down to Jermyn Street at the end of the month.
4. I am aware of RC - and i rather like their items, tho' i felt that it may be targeting the slightly 'older' gent. I may be wrong. Will check out their suits for sure, when i am down at JSt.

Has anyone come across this 'Rajah Tailor from Hong Kong" usually ads appear in the FT? Any thoughts on that?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got a Hackett sportscoat, no experience with their suits, but the quality is very good, and nicely English. If you're just after a cheap but reasonable suit to tide you over, have a look at Brook Taverner - still very English looking, good quality fabric and construction better than you'd expect for the price. There's a few suits left at silly prices on there web site sale. Fit wise I'd go with the fashion/contemporary fit models rather than the classic.

Flashman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on Austin Reed?

I have never been a fan per se - ie: never purchased anything from AR.

Prexaspes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flashman
Does anyone have any thoughts on Austin Reed?

I have never been a fan per se - ie: never purchased anything from AR.

Austin Reed isn't bad -- neither great nor appalling. I have two of their suits, a navy lightish weight DB and a (vintage) striped DB that is of appreciably better quality. I'm reasonably happy with both. The word on the street is that they have declined rather in quality over the years. In a nutshell, you're unlikely to be blown away, but you could do a lot worse...

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first suit was an austin reed, simple charcoal 3 button. Heavily worn for a year (every day to school where it was treated like crap), worn on and of for five more with very little care or attention and it still looks ok.
I have no idea how much it cost, I doubt it was a great deal, and it may actually be fully canvased, I pinch at it and I can feel another layer between the wool and the lining all the way down, then again I might just not know what I am doing. Either way it was a damn good suit.
However I went suit shopping recently, looking for the same idea, a simple basic suit and Austin Reed regent street had nothing that qualified as a simple suit, there were a few ok pin stripes in their more expensive ranges, but not a single plain worsted in navy or gray. Also all of their more casual stuff seemed to be cut for the very old/styleless man. I think their quality has really slipped.

Flashman

Reaction score
I popped into TML after work and had a look at their suits...all in all, money/budget/quality/shape and appearance, i am favoring these at the moment!

Flashman

Reaction score
I came across a brand of suit called Facis....has anyone heard of them? Ar they reputable?

The looked fine - in terms of cut and cloth.

Any views?

Flashman

Reaction score
BTW, i made a purchase on Friday....i went for the TM Lewin 3 button, single breast, grey suit in the end....a neutral shade that is winter, autumn and early spring friendly.
I will buy a few lighter/color ones in the summer...!

Just to say....the fit is AWSOME!!! Makes me look slim and tall....and i'm 38s (chest) 32s(waist)

emakris

Reaction score
May I suggest giving Bicester Village a shot next time you fancy a good suit on a budget. You will find a lot of good factory outlet boutiques there, including Zegna, Dior, Church's, Ferragamo, Dunhill, Thomas Pink, Hackett, Charles Tyrwhitt and many other. They, of course, stock last season's and sales' leftovers but - in my opinion - that matters little for suits, shirts and ties. You're looking at real burgains if you find right-sized clothes. http://www.bicestervillage.com

Flashman

Reaction score
I expect tp pick up my TML suit today following the length adjustment of the troosers! - cant wait!!!

Will wear it tomorrow...and Friday as i have a meeting!

Watched 2 James Bond movies this last weekend....feel inspired!
(TPWLM and TMWTGG in case ye wondered which 007 movies!)

Andrewlavan

Reaction score
TM Lewin suits are poor quality. I purchased one recently and they altered the trousers. Little did I know that I couldn't get a refund afterwards. The salesman at the Jermyn Street store told me the fit was absolutely fine when it wasn't. The jacket was far too long. Consequently I managed eventually to get the jacket refunded against their will. Also the button on the jacket was hanging off by a loose thread when I went to collect the suit today after the trousers had been altered. Anyone considering buying from this brand don't bother. They are pushy sales staff, the products are nowhere near worth the stated original prices and they are very difficult to get refunds from. Jermyn Street stated their product at an original retail price of 600 pounds and the Westfield store in Stratford had the same item at an original price of 500 pounds!

These guys want a very quick sale and will do so at the expense of honesty.

I will never buy any of their poorly made crappy suits ever again.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hackett tweed hunting jacket, made somewhere in Eastern Europe with Fox Brothers material. The price was Euro 175 without factoring in detax. The construction looks acceptable to my novice eye, the fit was spot on. Given the cost of the materials involved, I could not figure out how on earth any profit could be made on a sale price of Euro175. Would appreciate any comments.

Also looked at a three piece navy chalkstripe suit by Hackett, but they were asking Euro800, and i passed due to my lack of research.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads