• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits for Young Asian

stevejobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by psykopath515
Hi,

I am currently in college in NYC and in market for a new suit. I will be graduating soon and will be working. I usually can fit a boys 18. what is the equivalent for men's? I usually wear 29/30 pants. I am about 115 lbs and 5 5, skinny. I think maybe a 36 might fit me. I'm not really sure where to start and where to find suits.

Please, any help would be appreciated.

You'll probably have to research importers from Hong Kong, Singapore, or Tokyo.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no way in hell you're a 36 if you're that small.

Realistically your best bet is Thick as Thieves, e-mail Get Smart asap and you'll get your suit made to your measurements instead of an off the rack suit cut generically when you obviously do not have a generic body size.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
+ 1

I have had lengthy debates with buyers for a few men's stores - the answer is the actual manufacturers as they do order but never receive enough.

What I'd like to know is why 34/XS is still practically non-existent. There's plenty of scrawny guys out there.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That one looks good. But unless you're the OP, you'll never know his true opinion after he wears it several times. I've posted my MTM suits on other forums and received similar compliments only to found out how poorly fitted the measurements were when I tried to actually sit on a table and move around a bit.

Originally Posted by whacked
Au contraire

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=13716

Witness the compliments showered on his suit.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then what should I do then?

Carbs.. PASTA..

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Then what should I do then?

Saks is a good option if you want to know your size. The sales people were pretty helpful in finding me the suits that I needed the last time I was there. There might be a 34R or so lying around.

If MTM is not an option, go to an H&M and try out their suits. If the shoulders fit, you can always alter the rest. There are a section of boy's suits in Brooks Brothers as well.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can try thickasthieves or Four In Hand. FIH has a number of suits available in size 34 and 36.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also a young Asian having problems finding a suit that fits.

I'm 5'7", 185 lbs. My chest is 44". I wear pants that are 34/30, and shirts that are 16.5 32/33 (though I think if there was 33-34, it would be perfect for me).

I don't have much more than $1000 incl tailoring. I have no idea where to start looking for suits that would fit me.

I just recently bought a suit at Felines Basement for 300 (Kenneth Cole- 44R) and spent close to $120 getting it tailored and it still didn't fit right after having the tailor recut my jacket twice. He said that he couldn't cut the jacket any more to give it a tapered look.

Should I have tried on smaller sizes? A size 42/43 jacket fits better around the waist, but I would rip the shoulders (of the ones I tried on).

I would really like some advice before I try to buy another suit and mess up. I appreciate any help.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
I'm also a young Asian having problems finding a suit that fits. I'm 5'7", 185 lbs. My chest is 44". I wear pants that are 34/30, and shirts that are 16.5 32/33 (though I think if there was 33-34, it would be perfect for me). I don't have much more than $1000 incl tailoring. I have no idea where to start looking for suits that would fit me. I just recently bought a suit at Felines Basement for 300 (Kenneth Cole- 44R) and spent close to $120 getting it tailored and it still didn't fit right after having the tailor recut my jacket twice. He said that he couldn't cut the jacket any more to give it a tapered look. Should I have tried on smaller sizes? A size 42/43 jacket fits better around the waist, but I would rip the shoulders (of the ones I tried on). I would really like some advice before I try to buy another suit and mess up. I appreciate any help.
Seems like your problem is a bad tailor. You might want to post a picture of it though. Sometimes it might not look as bad as you think. You don't usually buy suits to fit the waist. You buy them to fit your shoulders, then alter them to fit the waist. The usual places that offer slimmer fitting suits have been mentioned in this thread. Might want to check them out. Worse come to worse, MTM or bespoke.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For lower end RTW suits, try Zara or H&M. They come in small sizes with slimmer cuts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads