1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suits for business

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oscarthewild, Feb 17, 2005.

1. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

I so much prefer suits that are not appropriate for "business". No I don't those 16 button monstrosities but suits from ETRO, interesting tweeds, sharkskin etc.

Business suits are mostly boring.

2. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

Are you looking for suggestions as to what makers?

Etro has some fabulous looking suits. Any high end designers will have some "unsuitable" cuts to their suits - D&G, Dior Homme, etc. Paul Smith has some interesting fabric patterns and wonderful linings. I would LOVE to get a Duncan Quinn suit (if only I could afford it).

Anybody ever seen a slim fitting charcoal suit with a light pink pinstripe? If I found one of those, I think I'd have to snatch it up immediately.

Dan

3. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's the sort of thing the visionary Richard James was doing five or seven years ago. Nowadays it's just a tad spivvy...

4. amirrorcrackd

To which part were you referring? And can you define spivvy?

Thanks,

Dan

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

What I have learned in my brief time of wearing suits is that you leave the suit alone, and you freak on the shirts. Meaning, go more conservative on the cut of the suit. But a crazy shirt. Then, if you get tired of the crazy shirt, you still have a useful suit.

6. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

(RJMan @ Feb. 17 2005,14:37) That's the sort of thing the visionary Richard James was doing five or seven years ago. Â Nowadays it's just a tad spivvy...
    To which part were you referring? Â And can you define spivvy? Thanks, Dan
    pink pinstripes on a dark suit, and a pink lining. spivvy = somewhat naff, with a hint of arrivisme. Anyway, you'll find similar patterns on Boss suits at Off 5th, and at more mass-market chains nowadays. If you find the pink pinstripe a halfway decent alterations tailor can stitch in pink acetate as a lining. Paul Smith used to do things like that; Boateng still might. Timothy Everest sold some suits at Daks like that too. What size are you? I will likely be ebaying such a suit with turquoise pinstripes and lining.

7. amirrorcrackd

Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd,Feb. 17 2005,11:40
    That's the sort of thing the visionary Richard James was doing five or seven years ago. Â Nowadays it's just a tad spivvy...
    To which part were you referring? Â And can you define spivvy? Thanks, Dan

pink pinstripes on a dark suit, and a  pink lining. spivvy = somewhat naff, with a hint of arrivisme. Anyway, you'll find similar patterns on Boss suits at Off 5th, and at more mass-market chains nowadays.  If you find the pink pinstripe a halfway decent alterations tailor can stitch in pink acetate as a lining.  Paul Smith used to do things like that; Boateng still might.  Timothy Everest sold some suits at Daks like that too. What size are you? I will likely be ebaying such a suit with turquoise pinstripes and lining.
    Unfortunately, I'm a 36R, and therefore, very hard to clothe. Â But if the size is right, do let me know. Dan