• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits by Jantzen

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I think they open around 11 AM. Doesn't seem early enough to avoid the crowds.

A-Man are priced a biit above Chan. ~10%. Their stocked bolts are mostly English whereas Chan's are predominately Italian, if that matters.

Thanks, I feel better prepared already. However, if the pricing structure rings true, Jantzen might be the better choice. I want something that fits, looks better than most American OTR stuff, and is inexpensive...

I have been taking small steps to get to the point of bespoke, and this is the next one in the line.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen fit your criteria.

I grew up and spent/spend much time in Taipei and HK so PM me if you have any questions

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went to both Chan and Jantzen two weeks ago -- got a Chan suit and several Jantzen shirts.

The turn around at both places was very reasonable, but with Chan I opted for three fittings over the course of one full week.

I didn't ask about Jantzen suits, but they are quite different operations, IMO. Jantzen is crowded and a bit rushed. If you go for a suit, be insistent that you get the time you need for proper measurements and to spec it out to your satisfaction. With 1 or 2 fittings, the precision of initial measurements may be less of a concern.

The shirts I got there I love. If you can get a suit done well there for HK $4K in a decent fabric to boot, then the price is far superior to Chan -- that said, I looked at the workmanship on suits hanging in the Jantzen shop, and nothing I saw in HK compared to the elegance and exquisite detail of Chan workmanship.

My two cents: If you're looking for a sweetspot in price compared to top Italian and English tailors, then Chan is the one -- if you're looking for a sweetspot in price compared to pricey OTR suits of a non-fully hand made ilk (i.e. Kiton / Oxxford), and time is of the essence, then Jantzen may be your find.

BTW: if I were having an Jantzen suit made, I'd insist upon Rikey being there to measure me. He has an assistant, but for a suit (rather than shirts) I'd personally want to go with the main man.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
Thanks, I feel better prepared already. However, if the pricing structure rings true, Jantzen might be the better choice. I want something that fits, looks better than most American OTR stuff, and is inexpensive...

I have been taking small steps to get to the point of bespoke, and this is the next one in the line.

Yep -- Jantzen may be the one for you.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
My two cents: If you're looking for a sweetspot in price compared to top Italian and English tailors, then Chan is the one -- if you're looking for a sweetspot in price compared to pricey OTR suits of a non-fully hand made ilk (i.e. Kiton / Oxxford), and time is of the essence, then Jantzen may be your find.

BTW: if I were having an Jantzen suit made, I'd insist upon Rikey being there to measure me. He has an assistant, but for a suit (rather than shirts) I'd personally want to go with the main man.

You hit it on the head. And I will make an appointment to ensure that Ricky is there.
smile.gif

Chan will be my next visit, in a few years.

tsg20

Reaction score
Does anyone else have any experience of suit-making by Jantzen?

Silk

Reaction score
I am reviving this old thread.

Does anyone have any idea what's the latest price of a suit by Jantzen?

I searched the forums and the the most recent price of a suit (in Jun 2006) was 4,500 Hong Kong Dollars and that included 3 shirts too.

All help appreciated.

Silk

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am in Hong Kong now and the going price is HKD3,800 for - 1 suit - 1 pants - 1 shirt

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kicking up an old thread, anyone have a recent price?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads