• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits at Macy's

youngworker

Reaction score
Macy's is currently having a sale of pretty much 50% off all their suits. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the suit brands they sell. I went there yesterday and picked up a Tasso Elba suit. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or know of the quality? I am thinking about going back and picking up another suit to take advantage of the sale which ends next week.

BTW, I have just recently graduated college and started working about 2 months ago so I cannot afford much when it comes to suits.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the Macy's suits tend to be middling quality, mass market, fused, and overpriced on sale. My concern would also be longevity of the suit. For example, I had (before I had learned more) bought a Chaps suit at a department store that held up very poorly.

At an entry level price point, you may be able to do better an outlet, a Filene's basement, Century 21, or even STP. This will necessitate some research and some shopping around, but deals can be had.

The forum would be better able to offer assistance if you could indicate what style and price point you are looking for. Also, there are other threads on lower priced suits you can find with the search function.

Welcome and happy hunting.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mediocre quality. a lot of the suits at macy's are intended to be sold on sale.

still, i imagine you paid about $200, give or take, and it would be tough to get a top quality suit for that price off the internet, and you've got to factor in fit issues that go along with buying online.

i would check out places like marshalls, filenes basement, etc. i have seen hart schaffner and marx suits for $250, sometimes discounted below $200, at marshall's, and those are better than tassa elba.

if you can get up to the $500-$600 range, and know your fit, you can occasionally grab top of the line RTW such as belvest and oxxford. of course, at that range, you'll be slight below the discount market price, so timing would be everything. in other words, everything marc237 said.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought couple of Tasso Alba suits @ Macy's couple of years ago when I just graduated from college and had no money to spend on suits. They are decent fused suits @ about 300 dallors. Back then I had no idea how to take care of suits, and I literally ran them through dry cleaners like once every 2 weeks, and suprisingly they've held up, no bubbling. However I wouildn't pay more than 250 to 300 for them. I would just buy a solid color but daily wear , and wait until you've saved up some money to buy another better Full Canvassed suit in the 600 range.

youngworker

Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate your responses. I tried a search on Tasso Elba and it seems that many people just see it as a wannabe Italian brand.

The suit I purchased cost $270 discounted from $575. When I went yesterday I was looking for a patterned suit, as I already have a solid black suit from college. I was thinking I was going to purchase a pinstripe grey or black suit. However, the style I got has a sort of plaid pattern (square pattern, with single white stripes going horizontally and vertically on charcoal color). I feel the pinstripe suit looked more sleek but there was just something about the suit I purchased that made me get it.

The main criteria I was looking for was a suit that was very versatile. I wanted a suit that I could wear to work as well as events that are somewhat casual. I was told that solid black suits were mainly reserved for evening wear. Now that I have this suit, would it be wise to invest in a pinstripe suit as well? Also, is a black or grey pinstripe suit considered more formal or casual than the other?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, a black or a charcoal suit will serve you well at events that would be more dressy. The suit you bought would seem to be a window pane plaid. While I like those a lot, some consider them to be a more informal or less dressy look.

A couple of thoughts: 1) consider adding a navy solid or p/s to the equation; 2) if the Macy's suit has not been altered, it can probably be returned; and 3) if work permits, consider a blue blazer as an alternative. Adding blue to the line up will give you a great deal of versatility.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Generally, a black or a charcoal suit will serve you well at events that would be more dressy. The suit you bought would seem to be a window pane plaid. While I like those a lot, some consider them to be a more informal or less dressy look.

A couple of thoughts: 1) consider adding a navy solid or p/s to the equation; 2) if the Macy's suit has not been altered, it can probably be returned; and 3) if work permits, consider a blue blazer as an alternative. Adding blue to the line up will give you a great deal of versatility.

All else being equal, better charcoal than black - much more versatile. Plus, in a mediocre suit true black can look especially cheap and crappy.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
All else being equal, better charcoal than black - much more versatile. Plus, in a mediocre suit true black can look especially cheap and crappy.

What if he's an undertaker?

deadhorse-a.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black is actually the least versatile color you can buy

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I guess I was not making that distinction, at this juncture, because I seem to think that younger folk view black as a fairly versatile color. However, I do bow to your more correct position, unless his work name is "K".

youngworker

Reaction score
Ah so it's called windowpane. I was looking for similar styles online and could not figure out what that style was called.

Anyway, the formality of the suits really depends because I am a consultant and it basically depends on the client site dress attire. I really like the windowpane suit I just purchased and probably will add a pinstripe suit as the last piece of my collection for awhile. I have heard before that blue is the most versatile; however, I honestly am just not a big fan of navy blue. I feel grey or black pinstripes are more trendy. I know its bad to choose a suit based on trendiness but I prefer more modern looking suits.

chrisc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
quantum field theory?

Quoted for Truth or Quite ******* True..

It just means you agree...

wheelerray

Reaction score
Suggest Nordstrom Rack if there's one nearby. Much better quality available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads