• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suits and overcoats

Stirre

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I have two questions...

Business-suits: What do you think is the most correct color?

Overcoat: What colors do you think that a man need and what is the best choice to a navy suit?
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
484
Business suit: Correct color? Not sure. Most versatile and acceptable would be navy or dark grey.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
425
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Business suit: Correct color? Not sure. Most versatile and acceptable would be navy or dark grey.
+1. Charcoal works well for an overcoat.
 

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
2,376
Reaction score
5
Charcoal seems to work well but you want th overcoat to coordinate with the suit somewhat to it really depends on what suit your wearing.
 

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
2,549
Reaction score
131
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1. Charcoal works well for an overcoat.

+2; if you're looking for more elaborate views, you will have to give more details. Context? Purpose? Define best and correct.
 

Edicron

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2009
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
What sort of business? Client facing? Finance? Law? A good set of separates is more important than suits IMHO.
 

Stirre

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Ok...I mean finance. I love navy suits and I suppose that that is the standard together with dark grey? How is it with black suits nowadays? It that acceptable today or should I go for navy and dark grey? I mean, almost every fashion store has nothing else than black suits.. I'm pretty young and have not that much experience from overcoats. Can I buy a black one like this:http://cdn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408 to my dark grey and navy suit? Navy and black isn't the best combination, but I don't have the money right now to buy both a grey overcoat to my navy suit and a black overcoat to my grey suit. Excuse me for the question, but what is the most common color on a overcoat people wear together with navy suits?
 

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by Stirre
I mean, almost every fashion store has nothing else than black suits..
And every decent store has mostly blue and gray.
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,520
Reaction score
12,044
Originally Posted by Stirre
Ok...I mean finance.

I love navy suits and I suppose that that is the standard together with dark grey?
How is it with black suits nowadays? It that acceptable today or should I go for navy and dark grey? I mean, almost every fashion store has nothing else than black suits..

I'm pretty young and have not that much experience from overcoats.
Can I buy a black one like this:http://cdn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408
to my dark grey and navy suit? Navy and black isn't the best combination, but I don't have the money right now to buy both a grey overcoat to my navy suit and a black overcoat to my grey suit.

Excuse me for the question, but what is the most common color on a overcoat people wear together with navy suits?


I think a black overcoat is fine with a navy suit. But if you really want something different consider a camel overcoat

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&sectionsize=#
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,592
Messages
9,452,388
Members
198,128
Latest member
cpumoniter7
Top