• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitings: Merino wool versus tazmanian wool

beny

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the pros/cons of each? Thanks,

sfnewbie

Reaction score
I thought tasmanian wool is merino wool?

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Tasmanian wool is Merino wool. Most Merino wool comes from Australia but Tasmanian Island raised Merino sheep produce a higher quality of wool due to the environment.

I would say the pros and cons are more about the weave of the fabric than the fleece.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Merino is a breed of sheep. Tasmania is an island south of Australia. All the best wool is grown in Australia, from Merino sheep. I have never heard that Tasmanian sheep are particularly special, or that Tasmanian soil (or whatever) is exceptionally good for sheep, but who knows.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Merino is simply the best that there is. It comes from the descendents of a handful of sheep that made the trip from Spain to Australia.

Actually, they went from Spain to England to South Africa to Australia.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Merino is a breed of sheep. Tasmania is an island south of Australia. All the best wool is grown in Australia, from Merino sheep. I have never heard that Tasmanian sheep are particularly special, or that Tasmanian soil (or whatever) is exceptionally good for sheep, but who knows.

I know because I am from Tasmania, which is a state of Australia. The Merino sheep there, descendents from a handful from Spain, produce the finest wool in the world.
These particular sheep do not exit on the Australian mainland, although New Zealand also produces excellent wool used in Italian manufacturing.
For at least 40 years Zegna has presented a trophy to the grower with the finest fleece at the main agricultural show in Tasmania.
Also, some years ago Esquire sent a feature writer to Tasmania to trace the finest fleece and its journey from there all the way to how it ended up as a high end suit in an Italian shop (a Brioni or something I think).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wonder, then, why it's not marketed as such. You'd think there'd be money to be made.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree it should be marketed a lot better. You see Tasmanian superfine wool in the labels of many suits but I'm sure most people have no idea what this means. The Tasmanian breeders and the Italian mills should get together perhaps but I can't see that happening.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its all different branding of what is essentially the same thing...

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
its all different branding of what is essentially the same thing...

That's about as intelligent as saying a Borrelli is the same as a Jos Bank because they're essentially all suits.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
That's about as intelligent as saying a Borrelli is the same as a Jos Bank because they're essentially all suits.

NO it is not - a simple and accurate statement of fact.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
NO it is not - a simple and accurate statement of fact.

Why? What on earth do you know about superfine Tasmanian Merino wool compared to other breeds?

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Actually, they went from Spain to England to South Africa to Australia.

They went to Spain from North Africa and probably came with the Berber Moors.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
its cold in tasmania, so the sheep may need warmer softer wool? oh and tasmania (although an island) is part of australia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads