• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suiting advice for narrow shoulders

nikkori

Reaction score
I've been struggling with fit in my search for a basic mid-priced suit.

I'm hoping to get a navy wool suit that's quite modern, slim, etc - hopefully away from boxy business cuts. (I already have a bespoke suit that I can use when I want something more conservative.) I love the look of Hickey Freeman, SuitSupply and even to some degree the J Crew Ludlow etc.

I am a slightly stocky man, of average height (5'9"). I'm not a fat guy, but I have quite a big chest.

My main issue is that despite my big chest, I have narrow (sloping) shoulders.

My chest size calls for a 42 or 43 (s) jacket, but with these measurements the shoulders are often too big. And when I go for a smaller jacket, the chest is much too tight.

Unfortunately I live in a city where there aren't many options for trying on multiple (quality) brands, so I can't just go to a shop and experiment.

I've experimented with SuitSupply (ordering jackets with their Napoli cut), but when the shoulders fit the chest is much too tight.

I had been considering MTM with Thick As Thieves but I'm worried that the very slim cut won't work out for me. (I know they accept a maximum chest size of about 43.)

eHaberdasher has been carrying very little in my size, so it's hard to experiment there.

Does anyone have suggestions for brands, cuts or designs that would suit someone with a large chest and narrow shoulders?

I live in Canada, FWIW.

Thank you so much for any advice!

(Unfortunately I purchased my bespoke suit across the planet, in Poland, and for several reasons [including $] I'm not in a position to get a new suit from the same tailor.)

123abc

Reaction score
Well, not sure if reviiving an old thread is proper around here, but I was searching for MY issue with suit jacket fit and came across this thread where the OP describes my issue almost exactly. So, trying to see if anyone has anything to say about this suit/sports coat fitting issue?

To summarize .... size 42/43 for chest, but suits with that size are too wide for shoulders. NOT to "thick (front to back) but shoulder to shoulder measurement too wide. So, either get too wide shoulders OR to narrow chest, which I have found isn't a very fixable issue, at least not at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for any ideas or brand/model recommendations to try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads