• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitable for a wedding?

Mdkeene

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a wedding coming up in May, and since money is low, I won´t be able to purchase an appropriate suit. The wedding starts at 6pm and though it isn´t a super formal wedding, all will be in suits. Unfortunately, I don´t have a dark suit, which would be best. What I do have is three suits, perhaps one of them will be good enough (pictured below). The first one is a two button, medium grey with a bit of a shine (not too much, just nice for summer) - I did wear that to the last wedding we went to, so I´d prefer not wearing it if one of the other two forms a decent option. 2nd a medium grey double breasted - the fit is much better than it was in the foto: I regained weight so it has a good fit again, and the tailor changed it here and there to make it fit well. 3rd is a navy-ish pinstripe two button.

All three will be equally HOT (we´ll be in the upper 80´s by then), so that doesn´t make much of a difference.

Either one will be worn with black shoes, a white shirt, and a peach/pink paisley tie. The tie has a drop of blue in it, and I have a denim color linen pocket square that works with it very well, so I´ll probably opt for wearing that one as well.

Which works best according to you?
Thanks!

Grenadier

Reaction score
The upper 80s are not hot. Wear the medium grey double-breasted number with a white shirt and wedding tie.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*Not* the pin-stripe. Pin-stripes are for business, not weddings.

Either of the grey suits will be perfectly fine. Not crazy about the idea of a pink paisly tie though.

Mdkeene

Reaction score
The upper 80s are not hot.

Are my Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion skills off? ... no, 30-35 C is between 85 and 95 F. You must be a machine, because for me, a pasty white northern European, anything over 25 becomes a direct reason to not step foot out of the house and sit beside the refridgerator with the freezer door open.

I was hoping people would pick the DB, as I really like it. I just wasn´t sure if it was decent for a wedding. Somehow the DB suit, though I know it´s more formal, isn´t something I´ve seen much at weddings. Why is that?

Quote:
It´s a pretty subtle paisley, only shades on pink and peach. I think it looks quite nice. I´ll post some pictures later on though to hear some opinions on it. What is generally seen as an appropriate tie for a wedding?

AdamWill

Reaction score
+1 greys are fine. Why do you think a dark suit is particularly suited for a wedding? IMHO dark suits are usually business suits, so it's nice to change it up a bit for a happy social occasion. If the DB is a 4x1, wear that one! 4x1s are awesome. We need more guys wearing them. You don't see many of them at weddings just because you don't see many of them in general, but it looks good on you I think.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one looks the most comfortable and very safe in terms of wedding style. If it at the last wedding, it was worn with a different set of clothing, there's really no reason to avoid it now.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one looks the most comfortable and very safe in terms of wedding style. If it at the last wedding, it was worn with a different set of clothing, there's really no reason to avoid it now.

Yeah I think the first one is the best. The DB is nice, but looks a little big on you (although it may fit the same as the first one, the pic of the first suit doesn't do a great job of letting us see the full effect).

Either way, congrats! I'm getting married in a little over a month, myself.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fit, the third suit's collar looks slightly too big.

Mdkeene

Reaction score
The DB was a bit big on me. Actually, it was good, then big, then tight, and now back to good. Due to sports and the injuries that come with them, I go thrpugh some pretty big weight changes and shifts in body shape. Depending on the season my body varies as well. Bigger legs in summer due to biking. None of my suits fit perfectly all year round...not even the bespoke jacket, pants, nor shirts. It sucks but it is what it is.

I am going to stick with the db as it is the best fitting one at the time.

Thanks all!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of them, the grey SB is probably best given the temperatures.

Just go ad enjoy it, do not fret about your suit.

Mdkeene

Reaction score
Even though I agree and wouldnt wear a pinstripe or any patterned suit to a wedding, I wonder why that is. Werent patterned suits made as a less boring option tothe regular non-patterned suits? And wouldnt a wedding be the perfect moment to wear something nice and fun to stand out a bit? I wouldnt do it because I know youre not supposed to, but I would like to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads