• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitable earphones for running/exercise

tetsuo

Reaction score
hey guys,
i'm trying to lower my weight by 10-15 pounds so i'm going to the gym more often now. when i run or exercise, i like to listen to music to keep me going, but my earphones are giving me problems. i'm looking for a new pair of earphones that won't fall out when i run, and won't fail on me if they get wet from sweat. i've seen a few options, but i'd really like to hear what earphones works for you guys who exercise regularly.

thanks.

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
skullcandy earbuds work great when i workout and run. they run cheap so it doesn't matter how much you abuse em. typically a pair will last me a year or so. typically it craps out cause the wiring stops relaying the sound to one side cause i toss em in and outta my bag. for 18-20 bucks, the sound quality and durability is good enough for me.

edit: i do something active at least 6 outta 7 days.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got some SkullCandy Titans and the sonic upgrade is truly significant. Also nice that the cable is fabric covered on this model so you don't hear that low frequency rumbling when it rubs against your shirt.

Very important to never pull earphones out of your ears by the cables.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sennheiser PMX 680... or anything from their athletic line. In my experience sound quality is far above average and durability is excellent. Plus water-proofing etc is only an added benefit.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got some Pioneer In-Ear Headphones (SE-CLX60-K), after trying out various sonys, skullcandys, ipod earbuds that have failed me in the past, and these pioneer ones are great. They never fall out, sound is amazing and they look nice too. On the down side, they cost 120.00, but they are well worth it.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JVC ******* are cheap and cheerful stay in my ears and I don't care when I loose or wash them.
If you get some foam covers for the ear buds they stay pretty well and improve the seal a bit for a bit more. Find a shirt clip somewhere and the cable stays on your shirt and removes cable noise completely.
My 2cents.

ddeitz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb200
JVC ******* are cheap and cheerful stay in my ears and I don't care when I loose or wash them.
If you get some foam covers for the ear buds they stay pretty well and improve the seal a bit for a bit more. Find a shirt clip somewhere and the cable stays on your shirt and removes cable noise completely.
My 2cents.

x2 on the *******. Your not going to find a better sounding pair of headphones on the market for their price either.

They have always stayed in my ears just fine, I make sure to run the cord on the inside of my shirt so I don't catch it on anything seems to help a lot and stops the cord form bouncing and tugging on the ear phones when I run.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use my Westone UM1 in the gym. Price is a little high at around 100$ so you shouldn't toss them around or something. Sound is really good, stay in the ear perfectly and due to the way the cord is designed you don't have interrupting noise when the cord has contact with anything (like you have with most cheap in-ear phones).

Couldn't use earbuds in the gym as I don't want to hear their annoying music in the background so I want the isolation of in-ears.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any earbuds designed for professional musicians performing on stage will do the trick--great pro quality sound and will stand up to all the sweat you can throw at it (rock stars seem to sweat a lot at a show)

JoshJ280

Reaction score
I'll just add try runing the wire behind your ears so they won't get snagged and this also reduces microphonics.

I had a two pairs of skullcandy ink'd earbuds and the second set didn't hold up to amount of abuse the first took, which leads me to believe that the build quality isn't so great anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads