Suitable denim for 40 year olds

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Flarris, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Flarris

Flarris New Member

Hi, I am a newcomer to the forums from the UK.
    As a 40 year old of a slim build, I'd like to know if anyone can suggest a brand of denim pants that would team well with a sportcoat / blazer for a respectable smart casual look.
    I find it pretty frustrating that in the UK at least, the only denims available that fit the bill are Levis and Diesel, maybe Paul Smith as I am a 32 waist, 34-35 leg, and really (this is the deal breaker)I want a slight bootcut.Way too many brands seem to be aimed at teenagers or people with youthful, crazy taste (multiple colours, creases, holes, distressing, outrageous patterns)
    All I want is straightforward, high quality denim-well-cut. A little better than you'd wear on a ranch, and not something that would be better suited to your teenage son.
    I can't find anything-can anyone here please suggest some brands-please!

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Check the APC range.

3. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

Nah sorry, that's honestly all there is. I've tried for years to find jeans like that but they're just not out there. Bummer, I know! [​IMG]

Great to see some more denim-needy folk on here, maybe we can kind of brainstorm together and help each other out, make some kind of mega-thread so to speak.

4. Robert

Robert Senior member

can't think of anything suitable for anyone over 39.

5. sartre864

sartre864 Senior member

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

7. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Amazed you would even be thinking of something like denim at your age, probably all you can do to get from bed to the potty in the morning. [​IMG]

8. WishEllis

WishEllis Active Member

albam (in London) and online at albamclothing.com have excellent raw jeans and some great non skinny cuts. made in the UK too (though denim is japanese I think).

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

There is a thread in MC devoted more or less to this topic: Denim 101 for MC

10. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Look for raw-denim looking (...but they are not raw) diesels...particularly, Zatiny 88z

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

You guys beat me to all the snarky comments...

Try these places. I'm in my late 30s and they haven't shot me yet for wearing jeans from here:

Since you're a brit:

http://www.kiosk78.co.uk/shop/jeans

In US (but ship abroad):

www.blueingreensoho.com
    www.selfedge.com

Oh yeah, and there's this helpful place too:

Pinned: I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Help/Question/Recommendation Thread For Beginners) ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

12. Flarris

Flarris New Member

Amazed you would even be thinking of something like denim at your age, probably all you can do to get from bed to the potty in the morning. [​IMG]

Thanks for all the helpful responses people, that is aside form this guy JoelF- who presumably thinks that anyone over the big four -o should not even be making a post on this area of the forum?
    For your information Joel, (and I'll keep this civil)- swathes of A-list stars and celebrities still wear denim way beyond 40, and I'd guess that most of those people are way more cooler, prosperous and more importantly, open minded than yourself. Have a nice day (not)

Thanks again to all other posts

13. nomad

nomad Senior member

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Thanks for all the helpful responses people, that is aside form this guy JoelF- who presumably thinks that anyone over the big four -o should not even be making a post on this area of the forum?
    For your information Joel, (and I'll keep this civil)- swathes of A-list stars and celebrities still wear denim way beyond 40, and I'd guess that most of those people are way more cooler, prosperous and more importantly, open minded than yourself. Have a nice day (not)

Thanks again to all other posts

It was a fucking joke. Take your panties out of your ass and toughen up. You got a hard time because you skipped right past all the newbie threads where questions like this should be asked and you decided you are special enough to have a thread of your own

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Here's a guy I guess is about your age, wearing some Levi's, he'd not be a bad act to follow [​IMG]