1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitable colours?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WJTW, Feb 17, 2005.

1. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Hi,

What are some of the suitable shirt colours that can go with a suit colour?

a) Navy
    b) Grey/Silver
    c) Charcoal
    d) Brown
    e) Black
    f) White
    g) Flashy colours like red, green, yellow, etc.

How about shoe colours for the suit colours?

Thanks,
    WJTW

2. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Erm... anyone?

WJTW

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

My general rule of thumb is that unless you're going out of your way to try to look edgy or trendy, it's best to just stick with lighter, paler shades of color. For the shirt's background color, I just stick with pastel-type shades like white, sky blue, medium blue, mint green, pink, lavender, etc. Beige, ecru, taupe, and similar colors could also work well.

I don't know how others view this, but I'd be very wary of combining darker colors with a suit and tie, especially in the traditional suit colors like navy, gray, and black. Maybe I've just been traumatized be seeing too many clueless guys try to set themselves apart from the crowd by wearing gaudy Kenneth Cole-type dress shirts in dark purple, maroon, gold, and gunmetal gray in combination with some metallicly shiny Regis tie in a clashing color. I just think it's a lot harder to go wrong with a lighter, paler color that doesn't try to compete with or overshadow the suit.