1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SUIT YOUR SHAPE: GQ primer for the hard-to-fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Jul 23, 2007.

1. untilted

untilted Senior member

I'm 5'7 and a regular is too damn long usually, especially at the sleeves.

2. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

I'm 6'4" and have a 34inseam but I wear a L. Does that seem right? Am I wearing my jackets too short?

Each brand has differences in jacket length, I am 6'1 and almost always wear a regular. I am sure body proportions, not just how tall you are can have an affect as well.

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'm 5'7 and a regular is too damn long usually, especially at the sleeves.

Sleeves are always too long for me too. All my jackets get sleeves and waist taken in.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

he look fairly wide-hipped so yeah I doubt 30 as well. has nothing to do with body fat. I know 6ft 2 155 lbs guys who are built like a wire and still wear 32 or 33. its just how wide they are.

and now that I think about it, they forgot the most common hard-to-fit body type of all, the middle aged guy with a gut. The guy who is 25 lbs heavier than when he was in college, but still not obese.

I'm a 30-31 waist. There's no way Lidell is.

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I'm 6'3, wear only a 40R and 32 inseam pants. I must have the tallest head in the world.

6. bslo

bslo Senior member

I'm 6'4" and have a 34inseam but I wear a L. Does that seem right? Am I wearing my jackets too short?

I doubt it. These standards seem really outdated to me (putting aside the fact that different brands make different length coats). I'm 6'2, and I prefer a regular. I would think most 5'8" men would prefer a short, unless it's a vanity issue. I think the standards make more sense if you add at least 2 inches to them.

7. gvibes

gvibes Senior member

Question on suit fit - Is there anything a guy with a huge ass can do to make a suit look good? It always look like I'm wearing a tent, and the tailor I went to said that I can't get the waist suppressed at all because it would "pull."

For your info, I have a ~45" chest, ~37" waist, and I'm about ~46" around the hips. Yes, I have to get the seat taken on every pair of pants I buy.

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Question on suit fit - Is there anything a guy with a huge ass can do to make a suit look good? It always look like I'm wearing a tent, and the tailor I went to said that I can't get the waist suppressed at all because it would "pull." For your info, I have a ~45" chest, ~37" waist, and I'm about ~46" around the hips. Yes, I have to get the seat taken on every pair of pants I buy.
    I have the same problem. The only solution I have found is to find a jacket that has a lot of flare in the skirt. My Chester Barrie for RLPL has it.

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I'm 6'3, wear only a 40R and 32 inseam pants. I must have the tallest head in the world.

That doesn't make much sense. I'm almost 6'1, 32 inseam, and wear a short 42L, sometimes a long 42R. I prefer a jacket length of about 32 inches from below the collar to the end.

Btw, are you measuring your height when barefoot, or when in shoes - I'm almost 6'1" when barefoot (actually, 6'3/4" to 7"8"). 6'2" to 6'2.5" in shoes. 6'3" to 6'4" when playing basketball

10. gvibes

gvibes Senior member

I have the same problem. The only solution I have found is to find a jacket that has a lot of flare in the skirt. My Chester Barrie for RLPL has it.
    Thanks.