Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SUIT YOUR SHAPE: GQ primer for the hard-to-fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Jul 23, 2007.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Not a bad article.

What I find frustrating about all of these articles is that I am so freaking normal that none of them really are any help. Nobody writes anything about those of us who are neither short nor tall, fat nor skinny nor muscular etc. The same thing goes for color theory. I look at those freaking charts and I fall somewhere in the middle of every single season rendering them absolutly useless.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for posting the article.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Nobody writes anything about those of us who are neither short nor tall, fat nor skinny nor muscular etc.

Wouldn't the world be your oyster?

lefty

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

lefty

Some people are never happy.

5. itsstillmatt

lefty

Some people are never happy.

[​IMG] I didn't mean it that way, I just meant that so much of the fit advice in magazines is focused on how to emphasize or de-emphasize certain things that it rarely gets around to explaining basic principles of fit.

The same goes for color and contrast. I looked at Flusser's contrast stuff for a week and could not find one thing that would apply to my coloring and I am hardly unusually colored. Same for seasonal color whatever.

6. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

Not bad; the suit took 30 pounds off of Horatio Sanz.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Not a bad article.

What I find frustrating about all of these articles is that I am so freaking normal that none of them really are any help. Nobody writes anything about those of us who are neither short nor tall, fat nor skinny nor muscular etc. The same thing goes for color theory. I look at those freaking charts and I fall somewhere in the middle of every single season rendering them absolutly useless.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for posting the article.

On a related note no one ever does one for the tall and fat. You're either short and fat or tall and skinny.

8. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

There's at least one source that gives plenty of advice on tall + heavy. (More on that in the months ahead, perhaps.)

Matt, if you have questions, the forum is a great place to ask. Replying to such threads is much more enjoyable than replying to threads about brand experiences, debates about this or that, etc.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

It's actually not half bad.

Jon.

10. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

I felt Chuck Liddel is a bad example of the muscular body type. He is fit, but not bulking with a big drop, they should have used someone like Christian Bale when he was playing Batman (where he gained like 100 lbs for the role from his previous role) .........

11. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

I felt Chuck Liddel is a bad example of the muscular body type. He is fit, but not bulking with a big drop, they should have used someone like Christian Bale when he was playing Batman (where he gained like 100 lbs for the role from his previous role) .........

It is tough to get bigger and more drop than Lidell without incredible genetics or chemical enhancement. I think he is a good example of a standard muscular build.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

There's at least one source that gives plenty of advice on tall + heavy. (More on that in the months ahead, perhaps.)

Matt, if you have questions, the forum is a great place to ask. Replying to such threads is much more enjoyable than replying to threads about brand experiences, debates about this or that, etc.

cha -ching!

13. Countertenor

Countertenor Senior member

It is tough to get bigger and more drop than Lidell without incredible genetics or chemical enhancement. I think he is a good example of a standard muscular build.
    Besides, any more drop and it would make it difficult for GQ to make him look good in the After shot.

14. itsstillmatt

No questions, just complaints. I do what I do and am not going to change even if it is wrong. I just find that most of the books don't seem to cover me and I do not see myself as all that odd.

15. lpwb32

lpwb32 Senior member

i'm 5'9" 160 lbs and thought the advice for the apollo ohna was pretty good. there is a particular disdain here for the suits worn by nba players and here was a perfect example of eliminating the 4b monstrosities and making a really tall guy look good in a 2b.

my only complaint would be calling someone 5'8" short when the avg height of american men is 5'9". if 5'8" is short and 6'5" is tall, then on avg everyone is a 6 footer? what they should have done is taken the advice given for short and said thats what the avg guy should be doing -- less break, more cuff. how many ppl would be happy to see that on most guys walking around out there??