• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit with only a crew neck underneath?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I just got my first suit and, as of now, I don't really have any occasion to wear it. I'm a student so I got the suit for job interviews and the odd conference that I goto with my Dad; that's about it. I really want to start wearing the suit.

The suit is dark charchol grey and I was thinking of just wearing it with a thin crewneck sweater under it next time I go out for dinner or to an upscale club or something. Is this an okay look? Keep in mind that I'm only 20. I was also thinking about maybe just getting a long sleeve tshirt instead of a sweater since it would be a lot cheaper and give me more color options.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Miami Wice is number one new show! Just kidding.

As long as the sweater or shirt is of good quality, and not a pastel color, I say do it. I like the look with a fine gauge shallow v-neck sweater or shirt as well.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by French Cuff Consignment
There are so many ways you can dress a suits down, check out this article.

www.frenchcuffconsignment.com/defining_your_personal_style.php#How%20can%20I%20"˜dress%20down%20a%20suit'?

How about a mock turtleneck?

Take a look at this

www.frenchcuffconsignment.com/product.php?pid=400&cid=FCC

From a personal point of view I think a mock turtleneck is the worst possible look with a blazer/suit.I think fine gauge crew or v neck sweaters can look fine in the right surroundings.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear a suit or jacket with a crew neck.

I stoped doing it when I realised that the collars of my suits were getting dirty and worn, because of the neck's grease and sweat, It is far better than this dirt get absorbed by a shirt or mock turtleneck that would be washed easily than directly by the jacket.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The only way I ever dress down a suit is with a buttondown collar. I personally like wearing neckties, however. Narrow knit silk and woven wool ties can look pretty smart.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I HATE the t-shirt underneath the suit look. In my mind, it ranks up there with buttoning the top button on a button-down or polo shirt. Really, a nice button-down collar shirt looks great underneath a suit, and that's about as casual as it should get, in my mind. Cary Grant pulled off that look very well.

T-shirt (sorry, crew neck shirt) underneath a suit brings to mind an athlete or sportscasters -a group not known for its fashion sense.

Windsurf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I just got my first suit and, as of now, I don't really have any occasion to wear it. I'm a student so I got the suit for job interviews and the odd conference that I goto with my Dad; that's about it. I really want to start wearing the suit.

The suit is dark charchol grey and I was thinking of just wearing it with a thin crewneck sweater under it next time I go out for dinner or to an upscale club or something. Is this an okay look? Keep in mind that I'm only 20. I was also thinking about maybe just getting a long sleeve tshirt instead of a sweater since it would be a lot cheaper and give me more color options.

Before you decide which is the right look for you there is one other issue you need to factor in. You need to look at your head size, shoulder size and neck length. We use clothes to adjust the proportions of our body that are not in perfect proportion naturally. So look at Flusser's book (maybe they have a copy in the school library. If they don't ask them to get one. Knowing how to dress is an important factor in being a success.) and see what he says on the topic and then look at your own proportions and decide if you need to make adjustments to your body by using various clothes. In creating your own style you need to take these issues into account.

As example, I have a long thin neck and so if I were to wear a jacket with a crewneck shirt it would magnify my thin looking neck. So I always have to wear a collar to fill in that area.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote no. I think it's a horrible, dated, cheesy, immature look, though anyone is invited to post a picture that might convince me otherwise. If it's a business suit, it's best suited for wear with at least a dress shirt, if not a tie.

A polo underneath a casual suit (e.g. tweed)? Maybe. A crew neck under a business suit? Ugh.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Maybe a tshirt is too casual. I would like to wear a crewneck sweater underneath my suit though. I don't work in an office yet and I'm certainly not going to wear a business suit and tie when I go out at night. I was just thinking that maybe wearing the suit with a crew neck sweater would be a nice mix. I can always take the jacket off and just be wearing wool pants + a sweater.

I'm definately going to look into some button down collar shirts though. I was reading elsewhere on this forum that they go well underneath sweaters which is another look I like to do with both wool pants and with jeans.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Ryan Seacrest looks?

It really depends on the cut of suit, doesn't it?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Lakewolf said, it ruins the jacket collar (just as wearing short sleeved shirts will soil jacket cuffs). As Windsurf said, it works well with so few physiques. Then as Quirk said, horrible, dated, cheesy, etc............

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A polo front sweater at minimum short sleeve only in warm climates maybe.
Turtlenecks look great with sportcoats. Mocks are not a good look at all with a sportcoat. Go full or not at all.
A fitted button down is always appropriate.A t shirt only if you are in warm climates with a cotton very casual sportcoat. still a case by case basis.

With a business suit, it will look horid, like you filmed 'A dick in a box' with justin timberlake on SNL.
Business suits:
1. button down
2. button dow with v neck sweater
3. Turtlenecks can look dashing depending
4. Fine merino polo can work also. long sleeve. only short if it's hotter then hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads