• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Upgrade Advice

tanda

Reaction score
I am in banking and law and in my late 30's. Previously, I wore suits every day. Now, I wear them approximately 50% of the time.

I am looking to upgrade my suits, both as to quality and styling. Better wool, full canvassing (or at least half canvassing), side vents, flat fronts and trimmer fit. In other words, not the fully fused, center vent, pleated, mediocre wool, sack suits that I currently own. The best fit for me OTR is 39R/33R.

Since I am rebuilding the collection, I am starting with the classic colors and patterns. My basic six will be charcoal solid, charcoal pinstripe/chalkstripe, navy solid, navy pinstripe/chalkstripe, medium/light grey solid, grey prince of wales plaid. I will start with two and add two every 6-9 months over the next year or two.

Since I am approximately a 39R and I want the classic colors and style, it is difficult to find these suits at outlets, STP, eBay, etc.

My leading choices are:

Brooks Brothers 1818, probably Fitzgerald, but concerned with half canvassing,
Daniele/Baroni, but concerned with lack of half sizes,
MTM, but concerned with using internet tailor and little access to hometown MTM tailor.

BB 1818s at 2 for $999 (last year's semi-annual price) would be the maximum I would pay at this point. In other words, $500 plus tax and alterations. I would prefer $500 total.

Any suggestions?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you're on the mark with the 1818's a Regent or Fitz will probably fit you well. Before you buy something from Brooks check out Polo RL, a 40R will probably fit you as well as a 39 in Brooks.

I'm a 38R in Polo and a 36R in Brooks Golden Fleece or a 37R in Brooks Fitz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics