• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit trousers side adjusters

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
How are the side adjusters to be used correctly?
Are these in there by default traditionally so in place of a belt? Are these to be cinched up in the case the pants are just a little bit too big in the waist?

Can these be used with braces or not? If not, are they supposed to be not cinched up when using braces?

Thanks.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinner when I stand up than when I sit down. I usually tighten when I'm up and about, loosen when I'm seated.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
How are the side adjusters to be used correctly?
Are these in there by default traditionally so in place of a belt? Are these to be cinched up in the case the pants are just a little bit too big in the waist?

Can these be used with braces or not? If not, are they supposed to be not cinched up when using braces?

Thanks.

Yes, they work the way that you would imagine...which is, to adjust the tightness or looseness of the trouser waist. Trousers cut for suspenders should be a tad looser in the waist than those meant to worn without...so, if you have straight back trousers cut to be braced, the side adjusters potentially allow you to wear the trousers without the suspenders.

If you have an English or fishtail back, your trousers are always meant to be worn with suspenders. In that case, I think the side ajdustors or a single back adjuster is superfluous. Is it a crime to have them? No, except a crime agains functional minimalism.

What is kinda pointless are trousers that fit tightly against the waist (either naturally or from adjustors) and then wearing suspenders. The suspenders really don't get to do their job...it's exactly like wearing a belt with suspenders.

- B

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you would not have side adjusters on trousers with belt loops in my experience.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I am thinner when I stand up than when I sit down. I usually tighten when I'm up and about, loosen when I'm seated.

+1. Unfortunately for me, it's at least a 1 to 1.5 inch differential. My side tabs are cinched a lot when I'm up and about. But I always have my suit jacket on, so you can't tell. But it is annoying.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either belt or side adjusters or braces - not a combination.

Vault

Reaction score
shonuff,if you are not used to side tabs,they may be uncomfortable at the beginning,I never could get used to them,even though they look pretty good,so I cut them off and have the belt loops attached.
For some reason I feel naked if I don't wear a belt.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this old thread because I've got an issue with my first suit with side tabs (and no belt loops): it's woolen flannel, and the cloth tends to slide through the buckles (for lack of a better word). The side tabs are just below the trousers' belt, and they tend to droop in the front once the side adjusters give a little. I think the trousers droop in the front because that's the direction in which the adjusters face (i.e. I pull towards the front). I don't think I've explained this well enough, but in case you can make sense of what I said, would you recommend: (a) adding brace buttons and forgetting about the side adjusters (tailor said it's possible, but I'm not a big fan) (b) having an extra inside button next to the zipper to support the front (i.e. a pancerina with two buttons -- I currently have only one). (c) switch to one back adjuster? But consider that the trousers are more Italian than English in cut, and the waist isn't very high. (d) switch to belt-style buckles for the adjusters? (e) switch to adjusters with two buttons instead of a buckle? (f) ? Thanks in advance.

LeonM

Reaction score
I've only seen adjusters that you pull behind...
Try getting them swapped over?
Plus, on all my trousers, side adjusters sit at the waistband of the trouser, not below.

Of course, none of these suggestions will affect the lack of friction between your buckles and the cloth. Maybe those buckles with little daggers on them might help?

Leon

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
I've only seen adjusters that you pull behind...
Try getting them swapped over?
Plus, on all my trousers, side adjusters sit at the waistband of the trouser, not below.

But then I fear that they'll droop at the back. I might try moving them to the waistband though. I'll see what the tailor says. He told me he'd hardly ever made trousers with side-tabs only (he's a provincial Italian tailor, and as you know typical Italians love belts).

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
But then I fear that they'll droop at the back. I might try moving them to the waistband though. I'll see what the tailor says. He told me he'd hardly ever made trousers with side-tabs only (he's a provincial Italian tailor, and as you know typical Italians love belts).

Confused, so your side adjusters are not on the waistband? In any event, the quality of the hardware can contribute to how well the adjusters hold. But practically speaking, if you're on your feet much of the day, you will periodically have to adjust your trousers and cinch the adjusters as they do tend to get loose.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should really use side adjusters in concert with suspenders. This is really the "proper" way of holding up trousers for a suit. As an Englishman I can't abide suits with belt loops....if I was just a little bit more successful I would refuse to make suits with belt loops. Of course I do put up a fight when people say they want belt loops but it's not a deal breaker. Yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads