Suit TOO Nice for interview???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rach2jlc, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Zegna's aren't that ostentatious that someone would notice it negatively. It's a rather bland suit, perfect for an interview.

2. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

I would second what the others have said, and wear a conservative coloured and cut suit, tie and shirt, cufflinks etc, regardless of brand, i.e. nothing to fashion forward.

Unless, of course, you are interviewing in a sales/marketing oriented industry, in which case, having seen how my marketing and sales people dress, I leave it to others more qualified to comment!

3. stach

stach Senior member

I lost a job one time because I dressed to well for the interview.

4. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I lost a job one time because I dressed to well for the interview.
    What does that tell you about the organization you were interviewing with?

5. whnay.

I suspect if Gianni Agnelli was at a job interview, most people wouldn't know the difference.
    Agreed and well put.

6. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

While I agree with the general sentiment and consensus, I think in certain specific instances, dressing too perfectly and flashy can be a turnoff. First impressions have a significant subconscious component. For example, what if you're interviewing to become a manager of a social and rather low-key atmosphere and you came in dressed perfectly? Some may think they are too serious and aloof and believe that the person is not compatible with the more light-hearted atmosphere of the office. And I don't necessarily buy into the "if they don't want you for who you are, you probably didn't want to work there" idea, since first impressions are not everything, and even well-meaning people can have unfavorable reactions to certain characteristics.

Interviews are occasions where you dress for others. If it's a job you want, who cares if you have to bend your personal sartorial rules for a few hours? You'll have the entire duration of the job to be who you are. I'm not advocating that rach rush out and buy a polyester tie, but there are subtle things you can do to enhance your chances (one thing that comes to mind is buttoning vs not buttoning your suit. Whatever the reason, there are places where an interviewer could look at a well-fitting buttoned suit to be closed-off subconsciously, and perhaps too serious). There's nothing wrong with being flexible for the occasion.

7. DGP

DGP Senior member

I had a similar problem last week. I had an interview, and had chosen exactly what to wear. Navy Dolce and Gabbana suit with a light gray/white chalk stipe (not too bold, pretty light), white shirt and red Prada tie with a small pattern on it in white (very conservative). Well, I forgot the tie at home, so I went right from the airport to the mall. Spent an hour in Saks going over all the sale ties, but nothing did it for me. So I went up to Brooks Brothers, and 30 sec. later, I walked out with the pink version of this:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=210

Conservative, yet just enough SoCal so I'd blend in. Haven't heard back yet, but I was pleased with the result.

8. whnay.

Understand that I'm not advocating wearing the flamingo pink pocket square that some well put together outfits can make use of. Rather I'm suggesting that the use of a well tied Charvet and a well fitted suit should enhance your job prospects in any arena where dressing 'well' is functional to the profession.

9. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I had a similar problem last week. I had an interview, and had chosen exactly what to wear. Navy Dolce and Gabbana suit with a light gray/white chalk stipe (not too bold, pretty light), white shirt and red Prada tie with a small pattern on it in white (very conservative). Well, I forgot the tie at home, so I went right from the airport to the mall. Spent an hour in Saks going over all the sale ties, but nothing did it for me. So I went up to Brooks Brothers, and 30 sec. later, I walked out with the pink version of this:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=210

Conservative, yet just enough SoCal so I'd blend in. Haven't heard back yet, but I was pleased with the result.

Much better choice in an interview situation than a red tie I believe. Good luck

Perry

10. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I have never paid that much attention to what I was supposed to wear at job interviews. I always went with the obvious choices I had at the time, like a white with light blue bengal stripes shirt. I always wore french cuffs though.
    What's even more important is a clean shave, polished shoes, and well cared finger nails.
    That said, I don't think I would wear a duchamp tie at an interview.

!luc

11. Qasimkhan

Qasimkhan Well-Known Member

I once wore a suit to a first interview for a finance director position with a catering company. My prospective boss told me to wear something more casual in the future. His order alerted me to potential issues with the company; and although I did dress casually for the second interview, I decided against taking the job.

Lesson learned--If he notices, the interviewer(s) reaction to your clothes can tell you a lot about whether you want to work for the company. So I definitely wouldn't dress down, if you are looking for a "dressed-up" company to work for.

Steve

What does that tell you about the organization you were interviewing with?

12. DGP

DGP Senior member

Much better choice in an interview situation than a red tie I believe. Good luck

Perry

Well, then I guess everything worked out for the better [​IMG]. In truth, I happen to really like the tie, despite it being the least expensive (at retail) one I've bought in a while. And I thought it looked great with the suit/shirt, and stood out perfectly, but in a very subtle way.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I don't see the point of all this discussion. After reading the original post, it seems the logical conclusion would be to wear the least loudest of his beautiful suits (doesnt mean it cant be out of this world awesome), mate it with a nice white or light blue shirt (that must also be discreetly awesome) and a nice solid red/navy tie One can look awesome with that combination without looking like he is trying to put his prospective employers to shame.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/gra...5/cnfiat25.jpg
    http://www.italiaspeed.com/news_2003...003_017_03.jpg
    -> conservative look though still looking great

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...WE:en%26sa%3DN (Picture to right)
    --> look at Luca di Montezemolo (light blue tie), all you have to do is lose the pocket square and switch to a darker suit

14. Lino

Lino Senior member

This is a very unreasonable social problem. Why should anyone be afraid of being discreetly well-dressed?

I walked into an interview once and was greeted with, "you didn't dress up for us? We are very down town!" I was wearing a navy pinstrip suit which I figured was less conservative than a solid gray or navy and I wore since it was for a job at a design studio that was down town. So, apparently, you can be overdressed for an interview.

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I wouldn't wear:
    1) a pocket square;
    2) a bow tie;
    3) open cuff buttons;
    4) a vest.

Otherwise, anything goes IMO. Don't worry about looking "too nice"