• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit thread, information

tdial

Reaction score
Well, in response to Dr. Bresch's price/avg. suit thread, I thought of another question that might be fun to answer.

Question is two parts: #1 what is your favorite suit in your closet and how much did you pay for it?

#2 What is the best value purchase you've made with regards to a suit?

My answers:

#1--tie between a blue pinstriped Borrelli (I believe it's probably Super 120s or 130s, if that exists) suit I bought from Ian Daniels and a black and white Baldessarini pinstriped Super 150 suit I bought when the Boss store in Atlanta closed. I got the Borrelli from Ian for ~$1000K and the Baldessarini for $800 (70% off retail, which is a ridiculous retail price).

#2 Best value suit is a grey with purple pin striped Baldessarini suit I bought at the same Boss closing for $600. It was 70% off retail, plus the pants had already been altered, so I got another $300 off the price. I have short legs (30 inseam) and the altered pants had been altered to a 32 inch inseam. Bonus, I was going to alter them anyway.

armscye

Reaction score
Those are good deals. My three best are:

1. A St. Andrews made, Dunhill navy DB tuxedo in 48L for $595 at Marshall's. Amazingly, I found the same style and color as a 42 regular two months later, marked down to $195, and bought it for the extra pants (I still have the jacket somewhere and will eventually sell it).

2. A NWT Brioni for $167 on Ebay. Good thing I'm an odd size.

3. A $195 Armani Black Label bought the day Read's Department stores in Connecticut finally closed down. True final final clearance, the workmen were disassembling the fixtures as I purchased it. This would have been 1987.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
1 & 2: Vintage navy chalkstripe flannel 3-piece single-breasted suit made by Conway Williams (of Brookstreet, W1) bought at a vintage store for £85 ($155 USD). The vest is single-breasted and without lapels but the trousers have a high split back for braces. I had to buy some boxcloth braces by Albert Thurston to go with them.

aybojs

Reaction score
1. A Zegna-made Etro dark bluish-gray nailhead? (not sure on the pattern name) I got off eBay. It's a 3 button suit with double vents, hacking pockets, a ticket pocket, and contrasting green thread for the (working) sleeve buttonholes (very subtle, you'd only notice up close). It's a very snazzy and unique suit, and judging by its tags, it was ordered made to measure and never picked up by a guy who was pretty close to me in size. It cost $350.

2. See #1

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1 what is your favorite suit in your closet and how much did you pay for it?

#2 What is the best value purchase you've made with regards to a suit?
#1 is my solid navy, two-button two piece. The jacket has high lapel notches and a very columnar look. The pants are slim and single-pleated. A very sharp suit. It's the suit I wore in my Members photo in that HOF thread.

#2 is #1. The suit cost me less than $500 from a tailor here in Korea. Quality easily trounces Corneliani, making it quite a steal.

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
#1 Toss up between a grey with a light blue pinstripe Zegna 15mil MTM 3 piece. (that I know I paid way too much for lol)
and the new Cashmere Kiton light grey with auburn colored window paine on sale for $1,600

#2 best deal hands down was a slightly worn Borrelli suit. Dark green and it is so soft it has to be at least a Super 120. Paid $100

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1. My three-piece, navy pinstriped Kilgour, French, Stanbury. Hands down. It's the one I'm wearing in my Members photo as well. Admittedly it's single-vented, but I enjoy it thoroughly, from the waist suppression and the shoulders to the fabric and how the collar lays. The trousers fit like a dream, too.

I only wear it for special occasions; once I wore it to class. Paired with my zero-halliburton briefcase, were comments ever elicited...

#2. See above. Bought on eBay for ~$30.00 USD..

Regards,
Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads