1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Suit thread, information

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tdial, Aug 17, 2004.

1. tdial

tdial Senior member

Well, in response to Dr. Bresch's price/avg. suit thread, I thought of another question that might be fun to answer.

Question is two parts: #1 what is your favorite suit in your closet and how much did you pay for it?

#2 What is the best value purchase you've made with regards to a suit?

My answers:

#1--tie between a blue pinstriped Borrelli (I believe it's probably Super 120s or 130s, if that exists) suit I bought from Ian Daniels and a black and white Baldessarini pinstriped Super 150 suit I bought when the Boss store in Atlanta closed. I got the Borrelli from Ian for ~$1000K and the Baldessarini for $800 (70% off retail, which is a ridiculous retail price).

#2 Best value suit is a grey with purple pin striped Baldessarini suit I bought at the same Boss closing for $600. It was 70% off retail, plus the pants had already been altered, so I got another $300 off the price. I have short legs (30 inseam) and the altered pants had been altered to a 32 inch inseam. Bonus, I was going to alter them anyway.

2. armscye

armscye Senior member

Those are good deals. My three best are:

1. A St. Andrews made, Dunhill navy DB tuxedo in 48L for $595 at Marshall's. Amazingly, I found the same style and color as a 42 regular two months later, marked down to $195, and bought it for the extra pants (I still have the jacket somewhere and will eventually sell it).

2. A NWT Brioni for $167 on Ebay. Good thing I'm an odd size.

3. A $195 Armani Black Label bought the day Read's Department stores in Connecticut finally closed down. True final final clearance, the workmen were disassembling the fixtures as I purchased it. This would have been 1987.

3. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

1 & 2: Vintage navy chalkstripe flannel 3-piece single-breasted suit made by Conway Williams (of Brookstreet, W1) bought at a vintage store for £85 ($155 USD). The vest is single-breasted and without lapels but the trousers have a high split back for braces. I had to buy some boxcloth braces by Albert Thurston to go with them.

4. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

1. A Zegna-made Etro dark bluish-gray nailhead? (not sure on the pattern name) I got off eBay. It's a 3 button suit with double vents, hacking pockets, a ticket pocket, and contrasting green thread for the (working) sleeve buttonholes (very subtle, you'd only notice up close). It's a very snazzy and unique suit, and judging by its tags, it was ordered made to measure and never picked up by a guy who was pretty close to me in size. It cost $350.

2. See #1

5. Alias

Alias Senior member

#1 is my solid navy, two-button two piece. The jacket has high lapel notches and a very columnar look. The pants are slim and single-pleated. A very sharp suit. It's the suit I wore in my Members photo in that HOF thread.

#2 is #1. The suit cost me less than $500 from a tailor here in Korea. Quality easily trounces Corneliani, making it quite a steal.

6. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

#1 Toss up between a grey with a light blue pinstripe Zegna 15mil MTM 3 piece. (that I know I paid way too much for lol)
    and the new Cashmere Kiton light grey with auburn colored window paine on sale for $1,600

#2 best deal hands down was a slightly worn Borrelli suit. Dark green and it is so soft it has to be at least a Super 120. Paid $100

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

#1. My three-piece, navy pinstriped Kilgour, French, Stanbury. Hands down. It's the one I'm wearing in my Members photo as well. Admittedly it's single-vented, but I enjoy it thoroughly, from the waist suppression and the shoulders to the fabric and how the collar lays. The trousers fit like a dream, too.

I only wear it for special occasions; once I wore it to class. Paired with my zero-halliburton briefcase, were comments ever elicited...

#2. See above. Bought on eBay for ~$30.00 USD..

Regards,
    Huntsman