• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit tailored: Feedback take 2

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Hey. Thanks everyone for the feedback on my previous post: Suit tailored: Feedback. I'm going to just donate the suit to charity.
confused.gif
Below is a gray suit I had picked up last year. The pant's are being tailored, but I figured I'd get feedback on the jacket fit. Eventually I will upgrade to nicer suits in the near future, but at the moment I just don't want to look bad when I'm out. I think the shoulders look better on this one. I also through in a cheap HnM blazer I want to wear out to bars or lounges, incase someone drops something on meโ€”no biggie.
suit_fit4.jpg
suit_fit5.jpg
H&M Blazer: In the images it looks like the button is pulling, but it's not. The bottom folded up when I was running back for the self-timerโ€”kept happening; I gave up.
suit_fit6.jpg
suit_fit7.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Roger Everett

Reaction score
From the front view, doesn't look bad. Shoulders a bit wide, sleeve length looks right. From the side view, esp. in #2, you have some collar roll, button collar on shirt and hae a look, if you still have it, go to a good tailor.

Mac

Reaction score
The buttoning point on #1 is too high. #2 is better but can't really tell where the buttoning point is due to the camera angleโ€”try to get a straight on shot. The top button on the respective jackets should be at your natural waist.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders are too wide, as others said, but it is passable, unlike your other, which was as everyone noted, an abomination and a complete do-over.

I believe it to be that the shoulders are too structured for your frame--my guess is that you have a sloping shoulder. When you are in a position to purchase your new suit, make sure to look at ones with natural shoulders, as overly structured ones are a big no-no for your cut. I have the exact opposite problem that you do, which is a small frame for my size and very tiny shoulders, thus I need something structured with roping, or I look like a twat.

Nit-picking

1. The sleeves on your shirt are far too loose

2. The jacket draping is off on your back, but this is likely due to posture. Do you have on a proper shoe in the pictures? That should correct a lot of your posture issues instantly and align your back.

3. The button is simultaneously pulling at your chest as well as being too baggy at the torso.

It is good that you're taking everyone's criticism constructively. Far too often to members, especially newer ones, freak out over the response given. That you even posted fit pictures shows balls and I must commend you for that.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't read the thread, but here's my critique of the fit and style of the jacket:

1. Shoulders are too heavily padded
2. Buttoning point is too high
3. It might be the buttoning point, but it makes the jacket look short
4. I'm having a tough time seeing in the pictures, but it looks like (if it's a center vet) that its getting pulled open (too tight?)
5. Shoulders look slightly too wide

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
The shoulders are too wide, as others said, but it is passable, unlike your other, which was as everyone noted, an abomination and a complete do-over.

I believe it to be that the shoulders are too structured for your frame--my guess is that you have a sloping shoulder. When you are in a position to purchase your new suit, make sure to look at ones with natural shoulders, as overly structured ones are a big no-no for your cut. I have the exact opposite problem that you do, which is a small frame for my size and very tiny shoulders, thus I need something structured with roping, or I look like a twat.

Nit-picking

1. The sleeves on your shirt are far too loose

2. The jacket draping is off on your back, but this is likely due to posture. Do you have on a proper shoe in the pictures? That should correct a lot of your posture issues instantly and align your back.

3. The button is simultaneously pulling at your chest as well as being too baggy at the torso.

It is good that you're taking everyone's criticism constructively. Far too often to members, especially newer ones, freak out over the response given. That you even posted fit pictures shows balls and I must commend you for that.

yes, my shoulders do slope, I was unaware of my options in suit's until this site. The advice at department stores on suit shop's seems terrible after what I've learned on this forum.

As for your questions and comments:

1)Yeah, the shirt does fit loose, I just got it in the mail today. It's a Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit shirt, but it's like huge! I really like the design, thinking If I should get it tailored fabric and build seem really nice.

2)No, I wasn't wearing any shoes, after my last post with shoes (bad pointy ones) all the focus went to my shoes..lol

3) Interesting. I'll discuss this with my tailor.

Thanks! It's something I learned as a graphic designer, take constructive criticism. Learning by exploring why something is correct vs not"โ€practice until it becomes natural. Of course there will be people with ill will"โ€ that's life, you just have to shrug it off. In design I can experiment for free; fashion I have to pay for my mistakes. I'm trying to save the cash spent on mistakes and educate myself about my old mishaps.
smile.gif

Savoir

Reaction score
That H&M blazer looks very good. It looks like cotton, is it? Looks perfect for leisure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads