• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bcjohn

Reaction score
I tried on a Suitsupply suit and like the look and fit, although the pants were a little on the slim side. I thought if I ordered MTM, the pants could be a little wider. The problem is this -- I am 55 years old. The style for these suits seems to be targeted for men 1/2 my age. The last thing I want is to be a 55 year old guy trying to look 1/2 his age. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like your assessment of the situation is pretty accurate. But a lot of the "look for someone half my age" comes from the fit (short jacket, high buttoning point, very slim) and would be less apparent on something made for you (provided you are able to specify these things).

pinchi22

Reaction score
Which SS suit did you try on? Some have fuller pants - and overall cuts - than others.

I think it depends on your work environment, personal taste and what shape you´re in.

I´m also 55 (there, I said it!) and I wear both a Napoli and a Lazio OTR. I can get away with even the trimmer Lazio because I´m in pretty good shape, like a somewhat trim fit (but nothing extreme, and no notched lapels, please) and I spend half the year in Europe, where even middle-age guys tend to wear slimmer cuts than in the US.

I think the type of shirt you wear also influences the right pant width. If, like me, you wear a somewhat fitted MTM shirt, then the slimmer pant looks OK. On the other hand, if you like a more blousy shirt, then I think you´ll want to wider pant to balance it out.

If you feel out of place with something for a Millenium kid, I suggest avoiding the tighter-fitting cuts and trying the fullest OTR fit (Napoli, I believe), or, yes, try MTM or another brand.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are suits for kids. Nothing wrong with that, but not for you.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are suits for kids. Nothing wrong with that, but not for you.

bluepastel.jpg

david-reeves-is-my-nyc-tailor.jpg

vida

Reaction score
Well, I'm 48 and I understand your concerns as I had similar thoughts when buying my most recent suit. What I have found is that you should buy clothing that compliments your body shape/size, and then make "stylistic" choices that you are comfortable with. So, a SS Napoli with cropped trousers and a very fitted jacket will certainly give off a hip vibe. However, the same suit with more classical tailoring touches can look very different. (Google Tim Gunn, I think he wears SS. I believe he's in his 50's).

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Code:

I'm 34 not 55 and you can't compare these to suit supply. In fact please don't.

I really dislike this company now, I would never buy from a company with such crass advertising. A Google image search reveals a ton of purile, coward Appreciation. I'm not against Appreciation, but not like this. It is shot nicely though I will admit that but the content is more about naked women rather than the clothes and I think that is pretty weak.

Last edited:

erpet

Reaction score
I also made the Google image search now and..... what the He......?! That might just blow up in their faces.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

most companies dont use older models. not corneliani. not brioni.

i hope that does not come as a surprise

I am probably getting a little soft in the head in old age, but I'm not that far gone yet! I was referring to the styles, not the age of the models.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also made the Google image search now and..... what the He......?! That might just blow up in their faces.

Most of the nudity was shot 3+ years ago, which is eons in this now now now social media world. I think they did it right when people outside of Europe were starting to notice the brand. So if it hasn't blown up negatively for them yet I doubt it will. Personally, I enjoy looking at hot naked women. And suits. Put the two together = :happy:

I'm also 34 so I can't provide a personal reference point to the OP. But my first thought was also Tim Gunn. He's worn SS for the past 2 seasons of Project Runway. However, remember that he works in the fashion industry.

I work with several guys who are in their 50s. A few wear Samuelsohn and Canali suits that have a slightly fuller cut but still carry some of the more modern trims. Might be worthy alternative if you don't mind the price jump..

Last edited:

Sean McKee

Reaction score
For the younger man for sure. At 55 I think I'd be more concerned with the comfort of the suit. The slim fit suits are very uncomfortable because of the tight armhole, short point to point on the coat. The trousers come with the very slim knee you mentioned as well as a short rise. These suits do look good on a younger man that has a good build but trey are not for the 55 year old man in my opinion, others may differ. Go with a MTM suit and have it styled for your body. You will be more comfortable and look appropriate in all situations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads