Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bcjohn, Sep 1, 2013.

1. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Well I did say "preferably" made locally.

I think its just about credibility and to an extent walking the walk, especially when you are in a position to be able to afford beautiful suits. Thats it really.

Now, I must really get some work done!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Well all the same goes for "artisanal."

I have not seen him wearing SS suits. But he could well look good in them, as they're pretty nice suits. I'm just going off of his Wiki page, but apparently his show is designed to "give advice to the fashion challenged." If the talk he's talking is about putting regular Joes on the right track to looking good, then wearing SS suits would be a better walk to be walking than wearing some $3k bespoke suit.

3. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Ok, but at the same time you must be comfortable using Loro Piana, Dormeuil and Holland & Sherry, and wearing brands like Cleverley. It strikes me as a little self-serving to say someone is a "disgrace" for failing to follow a practice that you seem to apply rather selectively in your own life, no?

4. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

As other posters have said, Tim Gunn has no responsibility to promote bespoke suiting or locally made garments just because he can afford the items and or has a platform for speak about them. His net worth is about 5 million, assuming he's pulling in a million or two a year... In NYC that's not a ton of coin (sounds sick, I know). Typically, as you know, folks with a much higher net worth are spending 5-6 grand per suit. Tim Gunn's responsibility is to promote better dress and advice folks how to do so. Gunn wearing SS or other moderately prices garments shows he's walking the walk with regard to his audience because they ain't wearing 5k bespoke. Your comments against both he and SS are clearly self serving.

If you hate folks not supporting locally made items, make your product more attainable to typical consumers.

5. David Reeves

If you can point me to local manufacturers/suppliers of that calibre I will use them. People are just running with the locally made point which was never my criticism.

6. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I think everyone has a point. I believe that the main issue is passion versus utility..I have friends who make great 6 figure salaries that might not mind spending 5-10k on a watch or a 80-100 grand on a car but would not spend over 1k for a suit..thats not something they are into.. here in the U.S, the average person will not pay more than $300-$400 for a suit. That is why places like Macy's strive even in a recession because that is how much value people put into clothing..only a very small niche of people (which is probably 90% of S.F) would pay that much for a suit.. that is because if you are on this site and very active then you have a passion for clothing..and 2k is just a price to pay for that passion. But ask a regular joe making 100k a year with two mortgages, kids in college, a car note and a dwindling 401k that needs more contribution to spend 2k on a suit.. you wont even finish the sentence before he walks away..I honestly think that places like SS is good for the bespoke business.. its a gateway drug, lol.. you feel you look nice in a SS and people compliment you.. it makes you want to learn more to be the best you can be.. before you know it, with the knowledge learned you are at the door of a bespoke maker and not looking back..TS is atleast showing the masses about fit..but why cater to people that are very small minority when you can appeal to a wider base that need that kind of info..that need to know where to take their $400-$500.. they cannot bring it to a bespoke maker.. just a thought..

7. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I think everyone has a point. I believe that the main issue is passion versus utility..I have friends who make great 6 figure salaries that might not mind spending 5-10k on a watch or a 80-100 grand on a car but would not spend over 1k for a suit..thats not something they are into.. here in the U.S, the average person will not pay more than $300-$400 for a suit. That is why places like Macy's strive even in a recession because that is how much value people put into clothing..only a very small niche of people (which is probably 90% of S.F) would pay that much for a suit.. that is because if you are on this site and very active then you have a passion for clothing..and 2k is just a price to pay for that passion. But ask a regular joe making 100k a year with two mortgages, kids in college, a car note and a dwindling 401k that needs more contribution to spend 2k on a suit.. you wont even finish the sentence before he walks away..I honestly think that places like SS is good for the bespoke business.. its a gateway drug, lol.. you feel you look nice in a SS and people compliment you.. it makes you want to learn more to be the best you can be.. before you know it, with the knowledge learned you are at the door of a bespoke maker and not looking back..TS is atleast showing the masses about fit..but why cater to people that are very small minority when you can appeal to a wider base that need that kind of info..that need to know where to take their $400-$500.. they cannot bring it to a bespoke maker.. just a thought..

8. David Reeves

I am not a millionaire, far from it, but I spent 10k on suits this year at cost, I think that demonstrates a certain level of commitment, belief and sacrifice. I am married with two kids and a cat. If I can do it a millionaire can. Now you may say that you would rather spend on other things, which is of course valid but it seems strange to be on style forum in that case.

9. David Reeves

You know I got asked if I would do a collection for Kmart last week. Guess what I said?

10. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

If Tim Gunn were a woman who publicly represented the fashion industry, would it scan for him (her?) to wear the cheapest decently-styled RTW that could be had (a fair label for SuitSupply, I think)? I mean, a few pieces, of course, but I tend to see DR's side of the issue.

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think David's making the point that TG is diluting the artisanal (word?) aspect of fine tailored clothing by endorsing suit supply. That is, TG is subverting art to form. David is an artisan, as was E. Zegna, as is Timothy Everest, as is Nutter, etc... I wouldn't put SS in their league. I'd put SS in Hugo Boss' league.

That's not to say SS and Hugo Boss don't produce some nice pieces. But it's unusual for someone with TG's expertise to praise Suit Supply as if it was an extremely well made garment.

As a personal note, I like some Hugo Boss pieces.

12. unbelragazzo

Does TG praise SS as on par with Zegna? Btw Nutter was not a tailor. Sexton was his tailor.

13. unbelragazzo

In what sense does TG represent the fashion industry? Any more than Martha Stewart represents the cooking industry? I thought he was like a self-help guy.

Edit: I'm sure MS sells a bunch of her own shit now. Mario Battali then.

14. unbelragazzo

I think you're confusing my preferences for what I think everyone else's preferences should be. You said not wanting to spend $$$ on suits is valid. I agree. So why is it not ok for TG to address the people who don't want to spend that much on suits and try to get them in the best suit possible? Just because we like expensive suits we have to be a bespoke evangelist and pass judgement on everyone who doesn't share out preferences?

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

Don't know who Tim Gunn is. But David Reeves' contempt of SS is amusing, given the aesthetics quality of the clothing that he himself produces.