• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit supply MTM vs Iris Tailor (Singapore) vs Daswani

ravi944

Reaction score
Anyone have any views as to which is likely to have the better fit / finish?

I'm waiting to collect my suit supply MTM from london branch and from what I have seen the finish is quite acceptable. Im visiting Singapore in a few weeks and have heard positive things about Iris Tailor in Lucky plaza but have seen some of their work and it does not appear as tidy as I was hoping in terms of finish. Finally, I've owned a Daswani MTM in the past and it was super tough and relatively well finished.

Would be great to hear from anyone who has had experiences with these outfits!

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ravi944
Anyone have any views as to which is likely to have the better fit / finish?

I'm waiting to collect my suit supply MTM from london branch and from what I have seen the finish is quite acceptable. Im visiting Singapore in a few weeks and have heard positive things about Iris Tailor in Lucky plaza but have seen some of their work and it does not appear as tidy as I was hoping in terms of finish. Finally, I've owned a Daswani MTM in the past and it was super tough and relatively well finished.

Would be great to hear from anyone who has had experiences with these outfits!

Very curious to know what you were unhappy about with regards to the finishing on the Iris suits?

If you run a search, I'm sure you'll come across my posts where I've put up fairly detailed pictures of my commissions. IMO at least, the finishing on my stuff has been pretty darn good.

ravi944

Reaction score
Thanks Gerald.

I recall seeing some pics on one of your threads with a internal view of the waistband / crotch area of the trousers and noticed that some stitching that should be running in parallel wasn't and that the metal waistband fasteners appeared to have a very polished and shiny finish to them compared to the duller finish that you might see on other waistbands (easy to rectify). The only reason I mention these very very trivial points is that when I recently inspected a MTM suit from Dutch company suit supply I was relatively impressed with the finish inspite of a very modest price tag. I know they make them in E Asia but they must have huge economies of scale and / or be squeezing every last penny from their supplier!

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only read crap about that Daswani guy..

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ah, having gone through the pictures, I see what you mean now. Hadn't noticed these minute details before, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will make sure to stand behind the tailor and ensure all stitches are straight when my next project is being sewn
bounce2.gif

Seriously though, everything else has been done up very nicely. The handsewn buttonholes are fantastic, as is the pick stitching, hand felled seams.. etc. They have recently (upon some pushing) started to use buttons from RJWeldon, and I am pretty sure they will accommodate a request to use trimmings from RJW as well.

I really doubt you can compare Suit Supply with what you get from Iris though; true bespoke (AFAIK) with your paper pattern on file, and a lifetime of free alterations.

Now that i'm starting to sound like one of those Nike Dunkz replica guys, I'd better scoot...

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ravi944
... The only reason I mention these very very trivial points is that when I recently inspected a MTM suit from Dutch company suit supply I was relatively impressed with the finish inspite of a very modest price tag. I know they make them in E Asia but they must have huge economies of scale and / or be squeezing every last penny from their supplier!

I had considered Suit Supply in the past before going with a bespoke tailor in London. Granted, their prices are fairly attractive (I think the last time I checked it was £650), but what really got to me was that if I had wanted peak lapels, apparently they don't have the block patterns in SE Asia, and such designs will only be accommodated by their Italian factories (which effectively bumps their prices up to £950). I thought that was a bit ridiculous, and it put me off then.

And I doubt Suit Supply can accommodate other more intricate details, e.g. 3-roll-2, buggy lining etc., so if it's a fairly 'standard' design that you are after, I suppose Suit Supply could meet your requirements.

Apologies, I know this isn't exactly on point with your initial query seeking comparisons against the aforementioned tailors listed, but I thought I'd just weigh in on the whole Suit Supply experience.

ravi944

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with what has been said. Would not want to draw direct comparison but what struck me was that for a price of GBP 380 (I went for cheapest cloth to get a risk free option as possible!) and I was able to customise a block pattern fairly significantly and also customise details including MOP buttons etc. I could also adjust armholes and sleeve pitch etc. They also threw MTM shirt in as part of an offer at that time.

Clearly nowhere close to a bespoke product and proof in the pudding as they say! Just a few weeks to go before I collect and then I think Ill try to place an order with Iris when Im in Singapore in a few weeks.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I live in the Netherlands and have direct experience with Suit Supply, MTM shirts, I have 2 and they're pretty good actually.
Do a search on Daswani tailors on here if you'd like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads