• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Styling For A Wedding

FittedXS

Reaction score
For my wedding I decided not to go the tux route, as I didn't want to purchase a new one and rentals don't fit me well. I bought a suit from Zara recently from their new collection. It's a charcoal color and I've already had it tailored to my measurements. My question is, how can I make it look as formal as possible for my wedding, but modern at the same time? I purchased a matching vest with it as well. I'm thinking of wearing a white dress shirt with it and a charcoal bow tie. Can I wear the bow tie with the vest, or does that not work? Should I wear the vest with a white shirt and charcoal tie? There are endless options and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Can anyone give me some advice? Our wedding colors are shades of orange, yellow, red, pink, spring colors and she's wearing a traditional white dress. I was also thinking of incorporating our wedding colors in my socks as a solid shade, but don't know how to pair it with the dress shirt and tie/ bow tie.

Thanks in advance for the help!

FittedXS

Reaction score
Maybe this should go in "Ask a Question". Sorry about that. Now, how to move this thread....
shog[1].gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It probably should be but dump the low tie unless you are an eccentric professor or senior lawyer and forget matching the flowers.

Get yourself a nice colourful tie - in neutral colours and plain grey or black socks. Your pocket square can have some colour as well.

Enjoy

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It probably should be but dump the low tie unless you are an eccentric professor or senior lawyer and forget matching the flowers.

Get yourself a nice colourful tie - in neutral colours and plain grey or black socks. Your pocket square can have some colour as well.

Enjoy

FittedXS

Reaction score

Enjoy

Sounds good. Do I wear the vest or no?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

black tie, white shirt, white pocket square, black dress shoes (that means shiny black)

I hope you don't mean patent leather. I probably wouldn't wear a black tie either

Last edited:

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal suit was a good start. Don't over think this. Black balmoral shoes, no brogueing (well shined, but not patent leather). White, spread collar shirt (barrel of French cuffs, your preference). Charcoal over-the-calf socks (match the suit, and make sure they are high quality). For the tie, see if you can find a shepard's check in a color that is similar to the wedding's color scheme (kentwang.com has a red shepard's check, but I am not sure if that is the right shade for you).

FittedXS

Reaction score
Charcoal suit was a good start. Don't over think this. Black balmoral shoes, no brogueing (well shined, but not patent leather). White, spread collar shirt (barrel of French cuffs, your preference). Charcoal over-the-calf socks (match the suit, and make sure they are high quality). For the tie, see if you can find a shepard's check in a color that is similar to the wedding's color scheme (kentwang.com has a red shepard's check, but I am not sure if that is the right shade for you).

I chose to wear a white dress shirt with French Cuffs. I really like the idea of the over-the-calf dress socks to match the suite. My Wife prefers an ivory tie with matching pocket square, so the tie is the last debatable piece to my wedding suite. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Robert Glenn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The only way to look formal and good is to stick with the basics, tuxedo is the premier choice for wedding but if you don't want top purchase it then suit might be the good choice but don't mess up with tuxedo accessories, wearing a bow tie with three piece suit can only give you a goofy look. A guy has number of options to coordinate with a pocket square, socks, and waistcoat colors

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads