1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit Styles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jfrater, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

Hello all,

If I were to get an extra business suit for general day to day wear, what would you suggest for the following questions: (note - I currently have only black suits)

1) What colour should I have?
    2) Should I get vents in the skirt of the jacket (one on either side)
    3) Should I have the trouser bottoms cuffed?
    4) Should I get three piece or two?
    5) Should I get two or three buttons?

Is ther anything else I should have asked but haven't?

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Three of your questions are completely subjective and you could answer them yourself after a bit of reading and self-education via this forum and Ask Andy. However, I'll answer the two that quick advice can help:

1) You need at least one navy, and at least one grey. Black is too impractical for every day work, and rulists may shoot you on the street for treading their turf in unacceptable attire. It surprises me that all your suits are black - if you do choose to have black suits (fine by me, I love them), they *should* be in the minority of your wardrobe, especially if you work in an office that requires business attire.

4) This is subjective and should be dictated by your own style, but it goes with little arguing that a two-piece is much more practical for clothing that you'll be wearing 8+ hours a day. You can, by all means, buy a three-piece and then not wear the waistcoat all the time, but if you're getting a business suit meant for everyday wear, it would be rather pointless to pay extra for the waistcoat.

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

trouser cuffs and jacket vents are less important than the number of buttons and the color. 2 or 3 piece also depends on where you live. If it is/you are cold all the time then a 3-piece suit may be a good choice.